The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2009, 11:14 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default If you thought the first was funny...

These are riot.

Again, I used what I had, although I did get some materials to use. I followed no pattern, just tied some stuff to a hook. The hooks I got with the materials were downright worthless...I used what I had.

Let the beatings begin....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wet1.JPG (67.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg streamer2.JPG (70.1 KB, 24 views)
Old 01-31-2009, 01:32 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you thought the first was funny...

Axle

Actually, your fly on the right is very similiar to the flies I used to tie for red salmon on the Kenai. Dressed a little fuller, you can catch salmon all day long or at least until your arms give out, during the red salmon run. You are dragging the bottom with the fly so you will lose a lot of flies but the reward is awesome fishing!

Larry
Old 01-31-2009, 02:19 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

looking good! keep it up!

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:43 PM

jdorsey61 has a spectacular aura aboutjdorsey61 has a spectacular aura about

Too many people tie for their own sensibilities rather than those of the fish
they're after. Seems to me, the fish should be the only arbiter. Give 'em a try.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:06 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Don't worry or put yourself down. You got stuff on the hook in the general area of where it belongs.. Proportion comes with practice. For your first flies you are doing great. I've seen a lot worse. Put those flies in front of fish & they'll grab them. Keep at it...
Old 02-04-2009, 12:10 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Axel,

Frankly I like them both. The buck tail streamer fly looks as good as the stuff I tie to fish with here. As a matter of fact if you want I'll fish that one for you and send you a picture of the fish I catch with it.

You are going to be a good fly tier. You show a good sense of proportion. A sparse fly will hold up better under the abuse that fish will dish out to it. When you tie take time to put a little drop of cement on each step as you attach materials. This will help to keep them together when in use. This is especially important for tails and wings.

You need to keep posting the flies you tie so that your long distance friends can follow your progression.

Ard
Old 02-04-2009, 07:39 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I'll tie a few more of them and send them to you....gotta get the address tho.

Sorry, I only have one size hook. I might experiment with the bodies on a few. I'll post a few dries I did in the past week or so.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:29 PM

My first dries. The head on the one black one was mussed up, but overall, I don't feel too bad about it. The wings on the on one is HUGE, but that was my very first attempt at wings and hackle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg huge winged dry.jpg (95.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg black1.jpg (90.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg black 2.jpg (85.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-05-2009, 05:23 PM

Ronnie z is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: If you thought the first was funny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
My first dries. The head on the one black one was mussed up, but overall, I don't feel too bad about it. The wings on the on one is HUGE, but that was my very first attempt at wings and hackle.
you did one heck of a job,have fun using them
Old 02-06-2009, 02:42 PM

FlyfishnakedInc is on a distinguished road

Excellent job I agree with everyone here. You definitely have a future tying flies and for sure post more pics. Enjoy seeing them