The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2009, 03:45 PM

fishfinder27 is on a distinguished road
Default Inspiration for Ireland

I have a mental block, need some new ideas for patterns. Been tying about ten years and fish rivers, lakes in mid and west Ireland for brown trout. Have any of you guys from the U.S been over here fshing? My favourite/local waters would be lough sheelin & the Kells blackwater, Anyone Know them? I'm gonna get some pics of the flys I've tied over the closed season on here tomorrow. A rough idea of what we tie/use over here.

Lake.

Caddis(sedge) Size 6 to 16, Green, Brown, Red, Tan, Claret

Midge(buzzer) Size 10 to 18 Black, Green & Red

Dragon & Damsel (I am very new to these, have not fished them yet but i attempted a few ties over the winter)

Mayflies, I usually spend most of the hatch on lough sheelin where the spent fall used to bring up huge numbers of big trout every calm evening. Unfortunately the last 3/4 seasons have seen unbelievable hatches, but only a few small fish showing in the evening

In the Western lakes there is a smaller breed of mayfly and fish seem to prefer the emerging/hatching fly. Green/Yellow imitations work well.

River.

I only used the dry fly on the river in the past but going to use more nymphs this year.

Caddis, olive, small mayfly, alder

So if you were planning a trip to Eire, What would you tie for the box
Old 01-31-2009, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Inspiration for Ireland

Hi fishfinder27,

I missed your first post so welcome to the forum. Here is a site that may be helpful to you. It would be great to see some fly fishing photos from Ireland.

Frank
Old 01-31-2009, 05:18 PM

jdorsey61 has a spectacular aura aboutjdorsey61 has a spectacular aura about

I've always wanted to visit Ireland!
Having never beeen there, though, and not knowing the local insects, I have no idea regarding flies to match anything. You seem to have that well under control, anyway. Some great general purpose dry flies I would certainly bring are: Griffith's Gnat (#16-22), Royal Wulff (#10-16), Adams (#12-22) and Bivisible (#10-16, a great dry for fast water). I don't know how you regard streamers, but I would be using them, particularly in waters known for large trout. A few of my favorites are: Black Ghost (marabou), Mickey Finn, & Wooly Bugger. Hope this helps.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:20 PM

fishfinder27 is on a distinguished road

I am going to get some pics of flys on here tomorrow Frank, thanks for the site. And dont worry i'm gonna take a lot more pics from now on.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:59 PM

wgsten is on a distinguished road

Hi all.

Just new to the forum and came across this thread. I have a blog that covers flyfishing in Ireland and have many photo's on the blog as well. Its a relatively young blog, but i've been updating it regularly since i've started and will continue to do so.

I've fishing many a river and lake in Ireland over the last number of years, so if any of you plan a trip over here, don't hesitate to ask for advice on good spots to fish.

My blog for anyone thats interested is: http://www.irishflyfisher.ie

wgsten