The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 11:54 AM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: How young to start

Thats what I'm hoping for. Fishing partners for life.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:03 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

It is a great thing, my son now 17 loves fishing and hunting with me, he ties soem of his own flies but usally ask dad to fill his box lol . and ofcourse old dad does it for him. When we first moved to AR I was worried about finding a good fishing partner or two, but with a son and a ife that loves it, and a father and mother in-law that loves to fish I am pretty set even if I dont find any one else to fish with.
LIFE IS GOOD forsure
Bear
Old 02-02-2009, 12:09 PM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

My wife isn't interested in the great outdoors. So I'm hoping my 2 continue to love it.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:13 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher45 View Post
My wife isn't interested in the great outdoors. So I'm hoping my 2 continue to love it.
I'm sure they will, just make sure they have fun with it, my 19 y/o daughter is kinda funny, IF I can get her to go, she loves it, luaghs and giggles and carries on like crazzy when she cathes a fish even a little bluegill, BUT getting her to go is another story lol
Old 02-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi flyfisher45,

I would make sure they don't use a hook with a barb. If they stick them selves or really get hooked it will be much easier to remove the hook. You might even consider dulling the hook quite a bit. If they get hurt it may effect their desire.

Frank
Old 02-02-2009, 04:30 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher45 View Post
I'm new to tying and I know my 2 kids will want to try as well. They will be 5 this summer. Are they to young?
My daughter started when she was 4, could cast 20'+ by her 5th BDay... start em' young!

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 02-02-2009, 09:15 PM

schrob is on a distinguished road

Yep my daughter was able to sit and tie at the age of five. I let her go wild with a lot of different colored buck tails and some tinsel. She was able to tie up some pretty good streamers. She's 21 now and can still tie. It won't leave them, and its a great way to spend time with them.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:00 PM

NickFlyer is on a distinguished road

I doubt there is a kid too young to have fun with it. I don't have any kids but my pops was handing me a bee bee gun as soon as I was old enoguh to hold one (about 4). I'll be a life long hunter and fisherman, he's still my favorite hunting and fishing buddy. Good luck
Old 02-03-2009, 06:26 AM

Thank you, The best part is I'm new to it and we can learn together.