The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 09:36 AM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about
Default How young to start

I'm new to tying and I know my 2 kids will want to try as well. They will be 5 this summer. Are they to young?
Old 02-02-2009, 09:52 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: How young to start

Heck no they arent. Ofcours your patients will be tested and they probaly will make some wild looking flies lol, but the younger you get them started the better. Just set them on your lap and help them ty a couple and then each fly give them a little more freedom.
Good luck
Bear
Old 02-02-2009, 09:58 AM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

They love doing their crafts and such. I know they will just want to join in.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:04 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I had my nieces and nephews tying Green Weenies 2 years ago. The youngest
was 5, and the oldest 27(!). The younger kids did better, and the 27 yr old
struggled .
Old 02-02-2009, 10:20 AM

They are talented, take after their mother.Should be fun.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:30 AM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of

Kids love to do what their adult peers are doing. My son is 5 right now and he has been sitting at the vise messing around since he was 3. Teaching him techniques only frustrates him and the best advice I can give you with kids between the ages of 4 and 7 is to just let them experiment and don't go heavy on the instruction aspect of tying, you will loose their interest very quickly. I also put together a box of old materials that he has free reign to use, this prevents him from wanting to use half my gold Whiting neck to make a feather concoction. It has taken a while but he has started to figure out how to attach the bobbin to the hook and how to use a loose loop to lash materials to the hook. The biggest issue I have had with him is his want to use glue all the time. I solved this with taking one of my head cement applicators and filling it with water, which he thinks is glue. He is starting to put some techniques together and he wants to tie anytime he sees me at the vise. Be sure and save all their work so that you can give it back to them when they become the next Dave Whitlock or Mike Mercer. Good luck and be sure and make it fun for them!

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Uh oh. Sounds like you're going to need 2 more Renzetti's...

When the weather warms up a bit you might want to plan an expedition to your local pond for sunfish. Have them tie up some foam spiders before hand (pinch down the barbs with a pair of needle nose pliers before you put them in the vise.):

Foam Spider Kit at BEARSDEN.COM

You could cast out for them with a fly rod or rig the spiders up next to a casting bubble with a Snoopy rod or something if they want to do it themselves. They should have a blast, but you might want to bring some worms just in case...

Sounds like you have a great family, there will be a lot of good times ahead.

peregrines
Old 02-02-2009, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Biggie-

Man, that first pic is great, I like the look of total concentration on his face. By the look of the pile of flies he’s really cranking them out with remarkable consistency… Not bad for 5 years old. ☺

It looks like a great way to unwind after a tough day at kindergarten--- tie a few dozen flies with a cold one (is that a Rolling Rock on the left?) before bedtime.

And that’s really funny about the glue, good move Looks like you have a great fishin’ buddy. Great stuff.

peregrines
Old 02-02-2009, 11:06 AM

I was wondering if I got a discount if I got 3 Renzettis. They really are great and love to be outdoors. I hope they keep that love all thru their lives.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:59 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Teach them now while their young..Both my son,30, & my daughter ,27, started tying around 5-6 yrs. old. They went hot & heavy for a few years & then went to other things. Now my daughter ties more than my son. But both will tie their own before a fishing trip.. I have 2 lifelong fishing companions, so one of the best things I ever did was to get them involved in fly tying & fishing.............