The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 09:44 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: homemade mobile tying bench

Very nice job! I tie from one of those little wooden tv tray tables. So I know what you were going through. I can deal with it for a bit longer. You may want to make a wood holder for a white background for your tying. I have to tie with lots of light. You won't need to do that for a while probably. Anyways, I love your creation there.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:47 PM

grizzlyking is on a distinguished road

Just thought I would show a pic of my mobile tying bench,it holds just about every thing I need were ever I go.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:49 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Yeah I have one of those organizers on the right, in a different color. They do come in handy. I also store stuff in cardboard boxes. Plus for synthetics I have a plastic box. I tie on a wooden tv tray table. I am started to get crowded in that little corner, so something is going to have to give in the storage dept...not sure yet what.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Kelkay, I hear you on the crowded. I still keep my stuff mobile (with my Stanley rolling tool box) for shows, but at home, I have added peg board and my old work station.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:18 PM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

That is a nice set up.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:35 PM

ejnovinsky is on a distinguished road

those are both nice setups! are those both apex offset rotary vices you have? how do you like them? I was checking them out, and I really liked the smaller jaws and smooth action of it, but not ready to drop 150 for one yet, maybe next year....grizzly, like the single malt tube as the feather holder, gotta appreciate a good scotch on a cold day!
Old 02-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

The vise ON my table is a Renzetti in the last shot, there is two on the top shelf. The dual jaw one is a Vosseler also in the first picture and both jaws can be rotary, and on the far right of the top shelf is a small travel stationary vise.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:28 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: homemade mobile tying bench

Has anyone had any experience with the Fishpond Coyote Fly Tying Kit Bag for storing tools, materials, etc., for those of us unfortunate enough not to have a dedicated fly-tying area in the house?

Images below; features include:
* Durable molded EVA construction
* Rugged 1680 ballistic nylon fabric
* Two exterior padded pockets for vice and components
* Integrated internal vice storage pocket with two zippered compartments
* 22 small storage pockets
* Eight large “see-through” zippered mesh material pockets
* VelcroŽ lined interior permits attaching additional accessory pouches.
* Large 10” x 16” zippered mesh pocket
* Four 10” clear tubes for thread spools
* Two 4.5” x 9” x 1” molded plastic organizing boxes for hooks, beads etc.
* Nine 4”x 6” resealable clear poly bags with VelcroŽ binding attachment
* Six 5”x 7” resealable clear polybags with VelcroŽ binding attachment
* Nine 3” x 4.5” resealable clear bags with VelcroŽ binding attachment
* Padded airmesh handle
* Removable and adjustable padded shoulder strap

Volume: 1,500 cu. in.
Dimensions: 20” x 5” x 15”
Old 02-11-2009, 02:42 PM

I have drooled over it, but I pack ALL my gear and it just won't fit. Plus I have recently bought those cool tubes for thread. But looking at my bench, I have my hooks in that twirl rack. I usually tie with my Vosseler so all I need is a small piece of plastic under it, so I can pack all of that in the roller.
When I go to shows, I usually have the roller which has an extendable handle that is nice, the Hook Twirl rack and my base for my lamp and magnifier. The magnifier also fits in the roller.
Everything is in baggies separated and dubbing and Chenille are in divider boxes. Tray on top holds all tools.

I wish I could down size for one of those bags, but I just KNOW I will need something I didn't put in there...LOL

Did I mention, I take all my gear on multi day camp trips.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:35 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

I've got one of those Stanley "rollers" also, but I use it for project tools & materials. You're right - there's no way that you could fit into the Fishpond Coyote all the materials & tools you could fit into the Stanley.

However, I'm not a pro and don't have anywhere near that much in materials & tools - yet . Since I doubt I'll ever have as much tying stuff as a pro like you, am thinking that this bag might work for me. Do you (or others) think this bag is well-organized? I'm not a proficient-enough tyer yet to really be able to evaluate its attributes.