The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 06:57 PM

ejnovinsky is on a distinguished road
Default homemade mobile tying bench

I decided before I do anymore tying I needed to get my stuff organized, working out of a shoebox full of plastic baggies with my vise clamped to a TV tray isnt cutting it. So sunday afternoon I went out to the shop, and threw this together from some scrap lumber. Its not the prettiest thing on earth, but it will help. I made it small enough, and put casters on the bottom so I could roll it anywhere in the house. I put all my materials in 3 ring binders, so I can get at anything without digging. what do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009_0202tyingbench0007.JPG (57.9 KB, 254 views)
Old 02-02-2009, 07:02 PM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: homemade mobile tying bench

Looks good. Nice job
Old 02-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Nice Job! I see in the background.....the Marshall and guitar....you don't have a spare ROAD RACK....LOL!
You know seeing this picture gave me an idea with some of the old gear I have...Thanks!
Old 02-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice job.

You may not need to cuz you've still got young eyes, but one thing that really helps me is to have a background to help see the fly in the vise- could be just a shirt cardboard from the dry cleaner, piece of light colored construction paper or whatever on the desk like a blotter, and another one propped up behind the vise.

Another thing you might want to try is just a plastic bag from the grocery store. Loop one handle over the vise so it's around the stem of the vise. It gives you a place to put clippings, bits of fluff etc. and may save your marriage.

You can buy stuff that attaches to your vise stem to do all this like profile plates and a gadget called a Waste Trol, but they go for 25-30 bucks a pop.

Glad to see you're so into it. Soon you'll be putting on additions to the house for all your fly tying stuff.

peregrines
Old 02-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Very nice job.

Another thing you might want to try is just a plastic bag from the grocery store. Loop one handle over the vise so it's around the stem of the vise. It gives you a place to put clippings, bits of fluff etc. and may save your marriage.

You can buy stuff that attaches to your vise stem to do all this like profile plates and a gadget called a Waste Trol, but they go for 25-30 bucks a pop.

peregrines

RIGHT ON! Grocery bag! I love it! I have that little bag that attaches to the vise, but I really like the Grocery bag idea....Thanks MAN!
Old 02-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Nice job on the portable tying desk!

Larry
Old 02-02-2009, 09:42 PM

thanks......yeah I need something for clippings, my wife has already yelled at me since the cat puked up some hackle scraps today...whoopsie...I tied on this today...worked great! I have a piece of white cardstock I use as a background, and I added a clamp on desk lamp. Ah someone noticed the marshall, another little hobby.....made myself a whip finisher as well from a couple paper clips, and a sawed off pencil, just to see how it worked.....lets just say Im gonna stop by bass pro for a real one tommorow......that thing works sooooo well....
Old 02-02-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejnovinsky View Post
thanks......yeah I need something for clippings, my wife has already yelled at me since the cat puked up some hackle scraps today...whoopsie...I tied on this today...worked great! I have a piece of white cardstock I use as a background, and I added a clamp on desk lamp. Ah someone noticed the marshall, another little hobby.....made myself a whip finisher as well from a couple paper clips, and a sawed off pencil, just to see how it worked.....lets just say Im gonna stop by bass pro for a real one tommorow......that thing works sooooo well....
Is that Bass Pro Shop or BASS (pronounced BASE) lol......just a little musician humor.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:07 PM

ha cute, actually my brother is the bass player.......tied a couple with this tonight posted the results, turning out to be a good setup....
Old 02-04-2009, 08:44 PM

grizzlyking is on a distinguished road

nice job on the portable tying station.