The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 09:13 PM

ejnovinsky is on a distinguished road
Default 2nd go around..new dubbing technique

obviously Im not going to post pics of every fly I tie, but these 2 turned out kind of nice, the heads are getting alot better, my homemade whip finisher is helping, and I figured out a little dubbing trick. I saw some folks waxed the thread section they were spinning the dubbing onto, I did sort of the same, but used a white glue stick instead of wax, just drug it scross the thread a few times, gave it a little tooth for the fur to stick to, it may not be waterproof, but it doesnt need to be, just hold long enough to finish the tie, and its nontoxic, so if it does work its way off in the water it wont hurt anything....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009_0203bugs0003.JPG (26.0 KB, 27 views)
Old 02-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: 2nd go around..new dubbing technique

Hey,

I would like to see or hear about the homemade whip finish tool, nice flies.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:13 AM

ejnovinsky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2nd go around..new dubbing technique

hardy, its nothing special basically 2 straightened paper clips that form a 90 degree angle with a small hook bent in each end, then attached to a wooden handle. works good, and the best part? it was free.....next thing you know Ill be grinding my own dubbing needles out of paperclips..........