The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 11:51 AM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about
Default Hooks

I got a gift certificate to bass pro. Going to get a cheap rotary vise to hold me over till I can save up and get a better vise. I was looking at hooks and was wondering what size I should get? I will primarily be tying for trout to begin with. Also any suggestions on feathers and such. Thank you
Old 02-04-2009, 12:08 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hooks

Well for wets I would go with a mustad R72 or a TMC 200R like Joni uses, in sizes 16,14,12
and a bag of partridge feathers, the whole skin is better if you can afford it, but they around 30.00
For something like wooly buggers get some streamer hooks that are 3xl, sizes 10,8,6 I am out right this sec and I cant recal the number for either one.
Brown,olive,black,white are the three basic colors in those flies.
Maybe start with an olive and a white, that way you have a light and dark color wooly.
For thread start with 6/0 black unless you are tying little flies then get some 8/0 also. You can get white and olive to match your woolies, but black is fine.
Now all this is just kinda basic ideals for you to start with, I mean if you can only afforded like two packs of hooks to get you started, maybe go with a size 14 for the wets and size 8 for the woolies.
Good luck
Bear
Old 02-04-2009, 12:11 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I'm new to tying so take my advise with a salt lick. I've done alot of reading and research on tying, though.

It really depends on what you think you want to tie. I usually use dries, so I started with #12-#14 dry hooks.

As far as feathers go, I'd suggest some grizzly, black and brown hackle, pheasant, partridge, turkey. Deer hair is good and some marabou. I bought an assortment to get me started and it still didn't cover everything that I needed to tie some Adams and such.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:41 PM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

I went with #12 on the hooks and got some black and olive thread as well. Will get the rest if the stuff I need next week when I get paid. including a set of Dr slicks tools. Thank you
Old 02-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher45 View Post
I went with #12 on the hooks and got some black and olive thread as well. Will get the rest if the stuff I need next week when I get paid. including a set of Dr slicks tools. Thank you
Hey Flyfisher,

Wrong! You will get "the rest of the stuff I need" for the rest of your life! Ho Ho Ho

Take my advise on this, start a secret savings stash, I always saved change (all of it) and used it for stuff. I was also a big fan of lay away. There is no way that you can get all the stuff you need on any given payday, even if you win the Lotto! Well maybe if you win the Lotto.

Go get the stuff dude,

Ard
Old 02-04-2009, 01:36 PM

Good Idea to start saving up. I don't know if the local shop does layaway. Thank you for the advice
Old 02-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Flyfisher45-

You’ve gotten great advice. I would start out with buying stuff for a few basic patterns, and start building on them as you add more stuff to tie other patterns. You’ll soon see that you can tie a bunch of different things as you start to accumulate materials.

Here’s a list of materials for some easy patterns a Woolly Bugger, Pheasant Tail Nymph and Gold Ribbed Hare’s Ear with some approximate prices, with a couple of options depending on budget. I also included just a couple examples of other patterns you could tie with the same materials. Don’t feel you need to get everything, you can buy one size of hooks in quantities of 25, omit optional stuff, or just buy stuff for one pattern at a time. The guys at the fly shop will be able to help you pick out all the right stuff for the patterns, and maybe even demonstrate how to tie them. But just to give you an idea of stuff and ball park prices for stuff, here's a shopping list:

Woolly Bugger
3xl streamer Hooks like a Mustad 9672 around 12.00 for 100 sizes 6-12, 8 would be good to start.
Thread: Danvilles Waxed 6/0, or UNI 6/0 in black about 1.50
Weight: Bead head 3/16” for sizes 6-10 or 5/32” for sizes 8-12 or .30” lead wire (or nontoxic substitute) spool 2.75
Tail: Marabou Black, olive, white 2.00 each
Flash: optional Krystal Flash pearlescent
Body: Chenille olive, black, white 2.00 each
Palmered Hackle: Strung Woolly Bugger Saddle Hackle black, olive, white, or just get a grizzly to go with everything 3.75 each (whole woolly bugger saddle sized for flies 4-10 about 13-17.00 each)

For Pheasant Tail Nymph
2 xlong nymph hook size 16 like a Mustad 9671 for around 12.00 for 100. Add size 18 and 20 down the road.
Weight: Copper Bead size 3/32” for sizes 14-18 (tie some with and without) 2.50 a pack
Tail, abdomen, wing case and legs: Pheasant Tail feather about 1.25 each
Rib: Copper wire, size fine spool 2.25
Thorax: Strung 7” Peacock Herl about 1.50 a pack

For Gold Ribbed Hare’s Ear Nymph
Hook 2x long nymph hook size 12 and/or 14 like a Mustad 9671 around 12.00 for 100, and tie some on the smaller 16’s you got for the Pheasant Tail Nymph.
Weight: Copper or Gold Bead size 7/64” for sizes 12-16 (tie some with and without) 2.50 a pack.
Rib: Gold wire, size fine spool 2.25
Abdomen and Thorax: Hares Mask about 5 .00 (or Haretron dubbing dispenser with 12 earth tone colors about 12.00)
Legs: Partridge pack for 2.00 (skin for 25-30) You can omit these on beadheads and just pick out dubbing of the thorax with your bodkin for a buggy look.
Wing case: Mallard Quills a matched pair of 2 wing feathers 1.50 (matched pair of wings 5.00). You can omit this if you want on bead heads, or use peacock herl. Tie it in before you dub the thorax extending towards bend. Apply the dubbing and pull it over the thorax and tie down before the eye over the top of thorax..

Some additional easy fly patterns using the above stuff

Simple Marabou Streamer-
Hook: same as Woollly Bugger
Body: Flat Mylar Tinsel gold on one side, silver on the other, size medium spool 1.50 for making bodies on streamers, or just use black or white chenille to match wing, or white chenille and black wing
Wing: use marabou black or white from buggers
Flash: use Krystal Flash from Bugger, a few strands below wing
Topping: use a couple strands of Peacock Herl over wing

Simple “Flymph” a soft hackle wet fly.
Hook : standard dry fly or wet fly hook, or just use your nymph hooks for now, 12-16
Body: use your hares mask or Haretron dubbing
Rib: use your Gold or copper wire
Hackle: one or two wraps of a partridge feather

Simple Winged Wet Fly, dubbed body or Leadwing Coachman
Dubbed body version: Same as Flymph with the addition of a set of wings cut from the same spot on each mallard wing feather for matching left and right wings. Separate a slip from each quill with your bodkin about the width of the hook gap. Cut out close to the quill with scissors and
Leadwing Coachman version: same as above using wrapped peacock herl body instead of dubbing.

I think you mentioned something about having a tying class coming up this Saturday? If so, and it's a one day thing, or over several weeks you may want to get a materials list for whatever patterns they plan to cover in class instead of the above stuff.

Hope this helps.

peregrines
Old 02-04-2009, 02:45 PM

Thank you for the above supply list. Its this Sat and they said they will be supplyng everything. I should see if they do have a layaway program.