The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 09:39 PM

bobbyc21fish is on a distinguished road
Default Streamer heads

What do you guys use to create heads on streamers? Im guess its something like Softex. I need it to make heads on my zonkers.

Thanks for the help,

Bobby
Old 11-30-2010, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Streamer heads

Hi Bobby,

Do you mean what do I use to finish the thread or how would I build a really big head?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-30-2010, 10:28 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I like Hard as Hull or Sally Hansen's. One or two coats gives you a nice glossy head if thats what your after.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:36 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

if u mean weight, i use mostly lead barbell eyes or cone heads. size depends on sink rate and rod size
Old 12-01-2010, 07:54 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

I use epoxy

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

You can use whatever head cement you use on your other flies, but you'd probably want to put on several coats, letting them each dry before the next application.

But I mostly use Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails (available from any Eckerts, RiteAid, Walgreens etc). It's essentially just like head cement but in a bit thicker consistency.

I use several coats (2 or 3 thin coats are better than one thick gloppy one)

With epoxy (and Sally Hansens to some extent) you need to be make sure that the stuff doesn't sag to the underside of the hook. Turning the hook periodically helps avoid this--- you can do it by hand, or in a rotary vise, but if you tie a lot of big flies eventually you may want to look into a home made turner. They are available for sale, but folks have made them out of all kinds of stuff (AC powered rotisserie grill motor, disco ball motor, or battery operated)

Another alternative are the UV light cured "epoxies like" resins like Tuffleye, Clear Cure Goo and Bug Bond. They are similar to an epoxy but set up almost instantly with the application of a special wavelength UV light-- to get started these systems typically cost $40-60 which includes a UV light and a tube or two of the goop (once you have the light, the replacement is just a matter of buying the goop at about $10 a tube. This stuff is rapidly gaining in popularity especially among folks that tie big flies (like saltwater stuff for example). In addition to setting up instantly eliminating the need for a turner, these resins stay clear ( epoxy yellows with exposure to daylight) and they can be purchased in various consistencies-- most stay hard, but some new ones remain flexible and squishy when cured.

Hope this helps...
Old 12-01-2010, 01:18 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

UV wader repair. Takes at least 3 coats. Never bothered to figure out how many heads I can get out of one tube, so I can't tell you what my cost is. But it works. And you don't need a UV light. Just good ole sunlight for twenty seconds or more does the trick.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

SHHAN here. I tried the Softex, but it is cloudy and teeth can get caught in it and pull it off.

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 12-04-2010 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Mistake, no edit
Old 12-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

If you are talking about simply finishing the thread I use regular head cement from Wapsi. The fly in the picture has one coat of cement on the thread. If you use additional coats the head will get larger and have more gloss. There are many products available for building heads on flies but most of my stuff is pretty strait streamer tying and I just cement the thread and tie them on.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

The fly below has three coats of the same cement over red silk and the look of the heads is pretty cool. Something about the silk makes the heads look like a garnet gem stone.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-01-2010, 03:41 PM

bobbyc21fish is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. Heres a picture of what Im talking about..

Zonker | Fly Recipe | The Fly Bench

I want to create heads like the one on that zonker.

Bobby