The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 10:31 AM

khl is on a distinguished road
Default Has anyone used the 6th Finger Scissors?

Hey all,

A friend of mine introduced me to fly fishing a couple of months ago and I've been absolutely hooked hard.

Since then, I've been lurking on the site and learning a whole lot. I bought my first set up from Justin and Allen Fly Fishing - waiting for it to show.

I've also started acquiring negative husband points and fly tying equipment at the same time. I picked up a Peak vise and ordered the 6th Finger Scissors.

After doing a search on this forum, I didn't see anything info on this so I thought I'd post and find out if anyone has any thoughts on these scissors.

Once I get them and tie my first flies - going to attempt some eggs and woolly buggers - I'll post to give you all a good laugh.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone used the 6th Finger Scissors?

Welcome to the forum and yes I use the 6th Finger Scissors, they are very nice. Singlebarbed debuts the “Sixth Finger” Scissor – Can fly tying be improved by a fellow with mud between his toes? | Singlebarbed

Larry

Larry
Old 12-02-2010, 10:56 AM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

I used a pair for about 3 hours one evening. I liked them. I threatened to get a pair but never did maybe because I need to wear out a few others first.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:36 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I have a pair I picked up this summer. I have used them a few times; I'm trying to use them more, but I do like them.

Dan
Old 12-03-2010, 04:57 PM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough

I haven't used them yet but I am hoping to get a pair this Christmas. I don't know what model you are looking at but here is a review from the Roughfisher who is really hard on scissors.
roughfisher.com: Product Review: Sixth Finger 5.5" Tungsten scissor
Cabot
Old 12-03-2010, 08:46 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

They look like they are well-designed for production tiers who keep their scissors on their hand constantly while tying. For me, I'm afraid I'd end up putting my eye out if I absent-mindedly reached up to scratch my nose, so I'll stick with the slower tie rate of putting down my scissors when not actually needing them.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:14 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

yes I am afraid I would stab my eye, or my face with the sharp points, by being forgetful, so I doubt if I try these, although I have heard people who love them...
oh, and Justin's stuff is outstanding...you will love your gear from him!
Old 12-04-2010, 09:46 AM

pescaconmosca is on a distinguished road

I wonder how they compare to AK Best's Wiss Scissors?......same sort of general idea....a spring loaded scissor that you carry on one finger.......I tried those once but didn't like
the way they flop around on my hand......I was better off with two holes and carry those
on my hand when I tie.......
Old 12-18-2010, 10:54 AM

khl is on a distinguished road

I received my pair a couple of weeks ago and have been tying some flies. Since I don't really have anything to compare them to, I wouldn't be able to say if they were better or worse than others.

As a beginner, I still find myself putting the scissors down unconsciously instead of keeping them in my hand. When I do remind myself to leave them there, I do find they do sometimes still get in my way a bit when I'm putting thread on the hook with the bobbin. Another issue that I sometimes run into is the spring part - at times - pinches my hand.

Again, my thinking is that it's because I'm a n00b as opposed to anything design wise with the scissors. I'm pretty sure that these issues will go away with practice.

Otherwise, the scissors are very good. About the only thing I have had trouble cutting is some fly foam - I got the 5.5" tungstens and I think it's still a bit fine to cut through the stuff. I grabbed a pair of regular office scissors for the first cuts and then use the 6th fingers if I have to do some fine tuning.

I must say that fly tying is incredibly enjoyable. I'm anticipating catching my first fish with flies that I've tied myself. I have a feeling that it's going to be a pretty good when that finally happens.

In the meanwhile, I've been tying some flies as Christmas gifts for the buddy that introduced me to fly fishing. Some of the first ones were really embarrassing but here's the latest:

Click the image to open in full size.

Happy Holidays!

Kai
Old 12-18-2010, 02:24 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I have a friend who has a pair, and he loves them. I however am forgetful, and would poke my eye out with them.