The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 03:47 PM

ejnovinsky is on a distinguished road
Default what should I be tying?

up until now Ive been just kind of randomly trying patterns, but I think Id like to start making an attempt to tie a stockpile of useful flies, so what should I be tying for springtime in Ohio? Honestly Im not even sure what kind of bugs we have......Mayflies for sure, I would assume nymphs and larvaes.......but any suggestions where to start....something for bass, for panfish, and for trout....I know seems like kind of a broad silly question, but I have to start somewhere....
Old 02-09-2009, 04:50 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: what should I be tying?

Hey ejonvinsky,

I dont know about fishing Ohio. But some general purpose patterns for trout i would tie up some parachute adams, royal wulffs, midges, and griffith gnats. Thats what i use on lakes and creeks here. Heres a websight for some nymph patterns you might want to try nymphs attractors -- Flies for Fly Fishing

For bluegill i would try the same patterns as trout, maybe some elk hair caddis. I like to use small poppers for them to.

For bass i would try mouse patterns, poppers, and clouser minnows.

Hope this helps and best of luck this season on the water

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 02-09-2009, 05:03 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

If I were going to stockpile flies for those species, I'd tie a bunch of Wooly
Buggers in sizes 10 and 12. That'll work well with any of the species you
mentioned, and I find the smaller sizes work just as well as the larger. I use
small #12 Muddlers for panfish. My first largemouth of 2008 was taken on a
#12 Green Weenie, and you can stockpile a 100 of those in one night!
Caught on #12 Green Weenie:
Click the image to open in full size.
Caught on #10 Wooly Bugger:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Size 8 Woolly Buggers, size 14 Soft Hackles, size 16 Adams, and Size 16 pheasant tail and hare's ear nymphs are always a safe bet where trout live. If you'll be fishing fast water, I'd tie some with beadheads as well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:36 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

sent ya a pm i am from ohio too. I use 6,8,10 buggers and clousers and basic nymphs in basic sizes and also some dries like the adams and others like a daves hopper. for steelhead use nymphs, eggs or streamers for bass use streamers or dries. a size 10 brown bugger in the summer owns bass. I believe they think its a crayfish but I could be wrong cause i am not the fish. all I kno is they like it!

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.