The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2009, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default A Pair Of Streamer Wallets

I said something in a thread a few days back about getting a fly fishing buzz when I open a wallet or box full of pretty flies and got this as one of the posts;

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdorsey61 View Post
I can understand the buzz, and there's no better reason to do what you enjoy! How about sharing that buzz with a photo of said wallet?
For some types of fishing, my approach is more pragmatic. But for others, a certain amount of elegance seems fitting. Any tips on where I can get a nice, reasonably priced leather fly wallet?
I responded to the post but am now going to go over the top by posting photos of a couple of my wallets with flies in them. I hope you don't mind.

Finding a good streamer wallet is a journey. I have been blessed to have found some that have become part of my life. The little Orvis one took awhile to grow on me but now it is the one I carry. The big black book is the mother ship that stays behind and holds inventory.

This Streamer Book was 40 years old when I got it in 1980
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

There are ten thick cotton felt pages & two leader pockets.

This is a mid 90's wax cotton wallet from Orvis with a full brass zipper and shearing lining.

These are the trout streamers that get used, as they become too worn one from the Mother Ship takes their place.

If you have a cool wet fly wallet or book please feel free to post it up, I love seeing this stuff.

Last edited by Hardyreels; 12-12-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:05 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Pair Of Streamer Wallets

Ard

Wow! That is one nice wallet, be sure to be careful and hang onto that, you sure would be sick if you ever lost that gold mine.

Larry
Old 02-16-2009, 11:28 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

those patterns are worth more than the dollar nowadays!! keep hold of that nice wallet. never seen anything like that before. I am from the east tho.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys,

George, it came out of the Catskill region of New York, remember I'm a transplanted Pennsylvanian.

Larry, I usually leave the big book at camp or at home. It serves mostly as a warehouse for stocking the little Orvis. When I used to carry it in a est pocket I kept the lanyard attached to the vest always.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:14 AM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about

Beautiful. I love this classic stuff. What are dimensions of the large wallet?
Old 02-17-2009, 07:15 AM

streamertyer will become famous soon enough

Here's mine:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Whoa!

Now there's something you don't see every day! I gotta tell you that those are perfect!! Are those 3665A 4X long for the hooks?

Where have you been? Why not share more of these beautiful flies? Opps, just checked and see that you're new here, Hi, welcome to the forum.

Ard
Old 02-17-2009, 03:34 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamertyer View Post
Here's mine:
Click the image to open in full size.
Beeeeeuuutiiiifulll streamers. From your initials you must be Chris D. Welcome to the forum from another Jersey boy. I ve seen your work on other forums ( Raske's) & I'm humbled. U da Man...
Old 02-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to All,

Wow, some nice stuff in this thread. Ard, I haven't seen a streamer waller like that for years. Of all the flies I think streamers are the most beautiful. Salmon flies are right up there but I like streamers.

Hi streamertyer, welcome to the forum. I hope you stick around and get to know our great members. Very nice streamers.

Frank
Old 02-18-2009, 07:42 AM

streamertyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Whoa!

Now there's something you don't see every day! I gotta tell you that those are perfect!! Are those 3665A 4X long for the hooks?

Where have you been? Why not share more of these beautiful flies? Opps, just checked and see that you're new here, Hi, welcome to the forum.

Ard
Thanks guys for the kudos. The (larger) hooks are the Gaelic Supreme Martinek Carrie Stevens Rangeley hooks. 8xl size 1.