The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2009, 08:38 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Metz soft hackle variety packs

Hi all,

was in sportsmans a couple weeks ago, and picked up a Metz variety pack for "nymphs, streamers, buggers and soft hackles". I don't have a lot of different color feathers, so I thought, what the heck, I would give this a try. Problem is that all the feathers in the back seem to be a bit "oily" - not sure if that makes sense or not, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this, and if there is any recomendations on a way to clean em oily/dirty feathers.

Thanks

d
Old 02-21-2009, 11:07 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Metz soft hackle variety packs

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post
l the feathers in the back seem to be a bit "oily"

d
Oily and not webby?
Old 02-22-2009, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Yup that happens sometimes. You can put them in some warm water with dishwashing liquid and swish them around, then dry with a hair dryer if they're on the skin or strung. If they're loose feathers you can wash them the same way, then put them in a pillowcase or paper bag, and put the tube of the blow dryer in the open end. It's better than using a laundry dryer since you can check to make sure you're not roasting them.

If you buy feathers on the skins, like capes or saddles, after you buy them and get them home, take a 1/2 sheet of paper towel and fold it in half. Put it between the skin and card board. Sometimes the skin side can be a little greasy, and the paper towel will help to dry them out. If you notice heavy spotting, change the paper towel.

Hope this helps. Did you get some good stuff?

Mark
Old 02-22-2009, 07:04 AM

Cooler00 is on a distinguished road

Here's Whiting's recommendation for cleaning a feather pelt. Similar to Peregrines, except they specify a mild detergent such as Woolite.

Whiting

Scott
Old 02-22-2009, 07:41 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys, I'll give them a wash and see how they turn out. Interesting how whiting says don't let them touch each other, and this package from Metz has them stacked right on top of each other skin to feathers.

d
Old 02-22-2009, 08:19 AM

Cooler00 is on a distinguished road

I suspect Whiting's recommendation is made to specifically prevent the transfer of natural oils from the skin to the surface of the feathers on another pelt. Taking that into considration, could that be why your feathers seem oily? I've purchased a few Whiting 1/4 and 1/2 saddles to start tying with, I plan to keep them in the original packaging.

Scott
Old 02-22-2009, 08:30 AM

That is my suspicion Cooler, going to clean em up, and seperate them today with cardboard and paper towels in the bag.

d