The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default New tyers, how's it goin?

I know we have a bunch of new tyers, so I thought I'd check in and see how you're doing. What are you guys an gals tying? How's it going? Some of you were also taking lessons. How are they going, and are you doing your homework?

Feel free to ask questions as they come up about materials, techniques etc., and to post pics of flies for critiques and suggestions. There's a lot of tying talent on the board, so feel free to take advantage.

And you may want to take a look at the Sticky on "Fly Tying Tips" in this forum. Thanks to JIMW for suggesting it. I'll be updating it as more come in, so check back often.

Hope you're having fun!

Mark
Old 02-22-2009, 07:15 PM

jonl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New tyers, how's it goin?

Thanks I'm sure I'll have some questions as I'm going to take a class starting March 5
Old 02-22-2009, 07:54 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

I am just getting started. I bought the basic stuffs today and with the help of you tube was able to tie a hares ear nymph. Not the best but a start. Once I grasp the basics I will have some questions for sure. Thanks for providing this venue for the information.

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:12 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

I hope you all do not mind this pictoral recording of my first fly.

Click the image to open in full size.

Your thoughts and feedback appreciated.

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:28 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Hey Mark
Your new "sticky", Fly Tying Tips is great. I keep checking it for tips.
Our third lesson was suppose to be Sat. It was postponed. Next class we'll be tying a Pheasant Tail Nymph. So far we've tied Cone Head Wooley Buggers, and Caddis Larva. I've tied about 10 of each for my homework. Another bit of homework is practicing the whip finish by hand with a very large hook and string. Done that about a thousand times.
When I get a minute I'll post some pictures of the tools that we made and the flies. The tools are cone of bees wax on a stick to pick up beads; a dubbing twister from a large stainless needle; a fly drying station out of corks.
I do have one question. Do any of you guys use a tool called a "Dubbit"? I actually have a million questions but will save the rest for later.
Oh, and having a blast tying, thanks.
Jimmie
Old 02-23-2009, 09:21 AM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

I'm taking a tying class at Bass pro on thurs night. Hopefully this one won't get cancelled on me.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Jonl-
Very cool, the class will really get you off to a good start.

Dave-
Nice job on the nymph, and it looks like you have a great set up for tying. I noticed the bifocals on the table there. I’m there too. One thing I find helpful is having a non-glossy sheet of something as background. I use an off white shirt cardboard from the dry cleaners. It keeps background clutter out of the line of vision and makes the fly easier to see in the vise.
Just some feed back on the nymph in terms of proportions. Try using a little less material in the tail, and keep it a bit shorter, at ˝ the length of the hook shank. But it won’t matter at all to the fish, so throw it with confidence
These are some of the proportions I use on nymphs, but it’s more of a personal preference thing than a “rule” so feel free to vary if want a different look:
Tail- 1/3 to ˝ length of hook shank
Abdomen- 2/3 length of hook shank tapered like a carrot, thin end at rear.
Ribbing – number of turns depends on shank length and thickness of rib, so whatever “looks right” but somewhere between 4-6 for Pheasant Tails and Hares Ear, and ten (for “realistic” imitations and obsessive tyers since most real nymphs have 10 abdominal segments, but trout don’t stop to count)
Thorax- 1/3 length of hook shank less one eye length (or thorax plus bead if tying a bead head)
Legs- length of thorax remaining 1/3 of shank less one eye length reserved for head.
Head – leave some bare shank until the end to wrap a head about the length of eye

It'll get easier as you crank out a few of each pattern and get in a groove. The great thing about the GRHE is that they all work, even the butt ugly ones. Sometimes the scruffier the better- either right out of the vise, or after it's been gnawed on a few times by fish.

Jimmie-
It sounds like you're on your way and really cranking them out. The Dubbit tool is a pretty neat gizmo for making dubbing loops. Here’s a thread from a while back
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...-fans-106.html
And those tools you made sound great, and perfect for the tips sticky. If you post a pic I'll link it.

Flyfisher- bummer about the cancellation of the class, I know you were looking forward to it and itchin' to get started. Have you tried any on your own?

Glad you guys are having fun.

Mark
Old 02-25-2009, 03:48 AM

Thanks for the feedback Mark. Just what I needed to know.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:08 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for checking in Mark.

Gonna tye up some dry flies, now that I know what kind/size feathers are used. Did a couple of swaps - way fun, felt like I did ok, and the flies turned out fishable. Ended up throwing a couple in my own boxes and retying when they didnt work for one reason or another. So now I am going to work on stocking up my dry fly box in anticipation of spring.

Thanks a ton for all your help, and the feather info/stuff

d