The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 09:16 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you do?

Getting me to sit at the vise is like pulling teeth. But once I sit down, I can't stop!
Old 02-23-2009, 11:56 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

I know what ya mean! I am lazy when it comes to tying sometimes. sometimes I get on a kick and bang patterns out and sometimes I just stare at the vise and computer.... I have so many materials and could have so many patterns of flies made up out of them if i could just quit being a lazy bum... it sucks... usually for now I just make up what I need at the moment. if I know something works but not till summer I will wait and tie those ones later haha.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

I used to get together with a couple of guys for tying nights. That was a lot of fun, more laughs than anything, but we did actually got a few flies cranked out and was a great way to share tips, new patterns and get the juices flowing.

I also like to tie lifecycles of specific hatches- nymphs emergers dries and spinners with a few different variations of each for a given hatch to try during the season. But if all else fails, you could throw on Goat's Head Soup and crank up the volume...

Mark
Old 02-24-2009, 01:02 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

"you could throw on Goat's Head Soup and crank up the volume..."

LOL!! Now there is a plan....

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:06 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But if all else fails, you could throw on Goat's Head Soup and crank up the volume...
I'm going to try that tonight, but I think that I only have that album on LP.....what happens when you have to get up and flip the record?

Old 02-24-2009, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Fysh,

I think you might have the answer. Find someone to tie with. Another idea is to find a youngster that wants to learn and help him out. Your schedule may make it hard for you to tye with someone else.

Frank
Old 02-24-2009, 03:00 PM

paulm is on a distinguished road

Fysh,

Whatever you do, do not part with your stuff!! I am just getting back into it after 30 years. Do what you want for now, try something else, learn another skill. (Spey casting looks like a blast!)

Since laying of the fly stuff I have gotten into photography, woodworking, learned AutoCAD, took up racing and Mt. Bikes. Now planning on using the Mt. Bike to get me into some small streams and ponds that are several miles out of the way of the maddening crowd. Will use a pack designed for photo gear to now carry fishing stuff. CAD and woodworking have made it easy to construct a new fly tying set up.

Go with the flow and enjoy life.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:28 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Fysh,

I just found this thread and I did not know you were hung up on your fly tying. I tend to tie flies when I need to restock my boxes but if I'm not tying to fill a box that's when I get creative. That's how you get a Hewitt Creek Hologram or an Anchor River Demon. They are products of creative fly tying. I made them I fish them and I really like to tie them. When I lived in the Northeast I tied Atlantic salmon flies and feather wing streamers. Even then I was creating my own patterns.

Tie something you haven't done before, have you ever tied classic Catskill style dry flies? Find a good web site or a book that has great illustrations that were tied by someone really good then gather the materials and tie until you can replicate the flies. Tie until your boxes become conversation pieces. I have always tried to be modest but it does give you a shot in the arm when someone looks into your fly box or wallet and says 'Wow'.

Tie the flies your buddies don't tie. Tie the flies the shops don't have. Then fish them and catch fish on them. I do it and so can you.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:10 PM

Steelhead Junkie will become famous soon enough

Many times its the way "The Cycle of Fly-Tying" goes I went through one of those cycles 'bout 5 months ago, even went back to my ... dare I say it..spinning rod Find someone who has inspired you and try to learn as much as possible from them. Ask them about the about how to tie the flies they are good at that you have problems with. It will have a great reversal on your "FTD" (fly tying depression)
Old 04-18-2009, 02:38 PM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

i started tying for 2 reasons:

1. physical therapy

2. to save $$$...contrary to what some believe, if you fish a LOT it is much cheaper to tie your own. i spent $50 on tying supplies for my upcoming florida trip and have tied well over $250 worth of flies for the trip already...and i'm about 2/3 of the way done. tying my own will save me enough to pay for a charter (during which i can use the guide's flies...lol).

notice neither reason was for fun?

i don't think you should feel a "need" to tie for tying's sake or a "need" to get rid of your stuff just because you haven't used it in awhile. would you sell your snow shovel in july? when you haven't had a flat in a few years, do you sell your spare tire, jack, and tire iron?

your post sounded by me like i "ought" to tie, or i "ought not" have this tying stuff. i hate the word "ought." who wrote these rules? where did this notion come from? 99% of the time it isn't really from our OWN wishes, desires, or chosen value system.

but if you really just want to know how to get remotivated again, try tackling a new challenge. human beings love mastering something new, learning something, etc. sometimes we don't like the PROCESS, but we all like the results. learn to tie something you consider "too difficult" or take an honest run at something you've always admired, like classic salmon flies. don't get in a hurry or make "work" out of it, though. try studying up on the genre or pattern or whatever (books, videos, internet, etc.) for awhile. eventually, you'll catch yourself thinking, "you know, i think i just might be able to..." and that's when it is time to sit down at the vise or head to the fly shop for the recipe items. after all, this **** is supposed to be fun.

and...by the way...i got hooked very quickly on the whole catching fish on flies i tied myself thing. it did add enjoyment to my fishing. and it gave me something to do when i couldn't fish. so...in that sense...it was fun right away. but i didn't really start enjoying fly tying as a separate art/hobby for several years. and i still don't tie anything that i don't plan to fish. but when you find yourself sitting in front of a vise all day to tie a dozen or less of some really complex and difficult fly pattern and coming away feeling like you had a good day because the flies turned out better than you expected, you're now doing it "for fun"...and not just to cut the cost of your fishing addiction.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist