The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default What do you do?

It seems that I have lost the desire to tie flies, I just cannot get excited about sitting down and cranking out a few bugs. Not a "Winter Blues" thing as I have been feeling this way for a long time.

Do any of you ever experience this?

If so, how do you correct it?

I'm thinking that if I'm not going to utilize all the materials and tools that I have accumulated over many years that I may as well let someone else(that has that fire in their belly) have it.

Help.......

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 02-23-2009, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: What do you do?

Hi Fysh,

I don't think that is unusual. I haven't tied for a few years. I never was hot into it and have always bought some flies. I find that new equipment is a turn on for a while. I have been thinking about tying some again. I thought a new vise might peak my interest.

When I was in Alaska I only used a few different flies. My wife tied most of them for me after a few years. Fly tying is a great Hobie for some people but I always had other interest that took up my time.

Frank
Old 02-23-2009, 01:34 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I've tied all my own flies for most of my life, and I've never done it because I found it enjoyable.
I only tie to have flies.
Most often an anticipated trip will get me going and I'll crank out what I need...and no more.
It's worked for me for over 35 years

I'll be going pike fishing later in the week...I'll probably tie up five or six tonite and the same tomorrow
Old 02-23-2009, 03:40 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

i've had some fly tying stuff for a few years but never got into it. i've tied no more than 25 over that time i think and part of it i is just never really enjoyed it. also, i find it hard with hands cramping at times or lack of good lighting.

but i'm experiencing something like what you're going through with my rod building. i now have about 7 blanks standing on end in a closet somewhere and i just inquired about a blank that's for sale and i have 2-3 more on my wish list. but the fire died on me a couple of years ago and i REALLY got into rod building back then.

i don't know the answer. i haven't wrapped a rod for awhile but i'm starting to feel the urge again. maybe it just takes time. 2, 3, 5, 10 years.... i wouldn't sell off the stuff though. SOMETHING propelled you at one time. that thing was part of you and may still come back. maybe a new mindset will develop, a new change of pace , something in your life... for now, i'd blame it on the Economy. ;-)

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I go through spells as well myself. I'm actually in more of a tie-like-crazy spell now, which is pretty tough when you've got a baby and still need sleep occasionally.

Hell, think about the fact that all your materials are paid for and get creative with what ya got. That's a much cheaper route than paying $2/ea for stuff that's likely not tied as well as those you roll up yourself.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:41 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

My buddy had this problem this winter so spent the winter experimenting. Specifically he was trying to design a jointed muskie fly that would give more natural swim action. He set down some limiations, only one hook. He used one hook and wire to create jointed interconnecting segments and since then he has had trouble tying each of those segments while making it functional at the same time. So far he has created a two segmented muskie fly that has beautiful action, it could easily mimic small bait fish. He still wants to make a three or four jointed fly. If this catches fish this could be the next big trend in pike/musky fly fishing.

He started in late November and last week he perfected that double jointed fly.

I say have fun, ignore the rules, ignore whatever purists say, and have fun. Think outside the box and create something brand new that no one has created. Experiment!
Old 02-23-2009, 04:52 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Like Frank said, new equipment gets the interest up again, My wife finally got me a Christmas gift for fishing & it was a top of the line tying vise so I have to use it....Anyway I guess I'm one of the those guys that likes tying. I look at it as an extension to fly fishing & I can sometimes sit at the vise for hours a day,just playing around with new materials & techniques. There are times when I get too busy to tie , sometimes for an month or so but that,s mostly because I'm fishing or into my rod building, or furniture making phase but I always come back to tying. I''ve been out of work on disability for a few months & after my daily hospital visit I'll tie a few flies or maybe even do something on the " Honeydo" list. but the vise is always set up & waiting for me......... After I've said all this I still only consider myself an adequate tyer with a lot of room for improvement so I experiment with realistic ties, old fashioned wets, streamers & new patterns from " Fly Tyers" magazine hoping to finally get it right....
Old 02-23-2009, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the words of encouragement folks.

At one time I thought all I needed was another person to tie with. I tried to get my wife involved but she told me she has too many other hobbies as it was and did not want to delve into another.

Eric, I feel your pain on the rod building. I also have 3-4 rods to wrap but cannot seem to muster up any desire for that either. lol

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 02-23-2009, 09:06 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Sponser a fly swap

maybe something that will get the creative juices flowing like creating a streamer and name it after your favorite horror movie character... The Godzilla Caddis, or the dracula screamer. Or you favorite movie - in search of the holy quail, or blazing caddis, or bad boys, anything that will get you back into a creative mood and challenge you to tie a few flys.

Just a thought.....

d
Old 02-23-2009, 09:17 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

" In search of the holy quail" I like that.....