The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Muddlers: Proportion Tips

Looking for help to make sure I'm on the right track. I've tied thousands of flies and hundreds with spun deer hair, but not that many of the Muddler variety. I'll be tying up some that float and some of the conehead variety, some fairly traditional, and some sparkly, zonked, with rubber dangling off, etc.

I'm fairly sure the following proportions will come out about right, but let me know if I am off.

Collar length, from tip to tie in point: 1.5-2x hook gap

Head diameter, next to uncut collar portion: = to hook gap

Head length, from hook eye to start of collar (potentially including cone): = to hook gap.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Muddlers: Proportion Tips

Cliff,

Even my ugly ones catch from time to time, so I doubt if it matters much. Main thing is to make sure you trim the bottom close to the shank for solid hook sets.... without cutting the thread. I use a single edge razor blade ( a lot easier than scissors).

As far as proportions, I tie 'em on both 3xl and 4xl hooks (mostly 3xl) so I eyeball stuff in relation to the shank length:

Head: spun on first of shank, trimmed flat on bottom, and trim it however you want. I usually do a “blunt nosed bullet shape” but overall width tapers up to hook gap more or less. If you’re using a bead or cone, taper the width up a bit from there.

Collar: extending to base of tail (to end of shank)

Body: Tied on rear of shank

Under wing: tied in at point, tips extending to length of tail

Over wing: Tied in at point tip extends to end of tail

Tail: length of shank tied in at bend

Hope this helps,

Mark
Old 02-27-2009, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Thanks man. I've tied a few since then and I found that I was adjusting the proportions a bit. I was generally aligning the tips of the bunch for the collar with the back of the bend of the hook, rather than just 1.5x the hook gap. Of course this is going to depend on what hooks you're using and whether you're tying up sleeker or bulkier flies.

I found this article on hair selection that's helpful on the subject as well- Tying Fishing Flies, Hair Selection - MidCurrent

I also ended up tying some clousers with a head like a Borski Slider that I really liked. I think it will push a bit more water and also help the hook point ride up. Two small bunches of elk makes it simple, and its toughness should make the fly a bit more durable as well.

Edit- I've decided I'll be calling those Plowsers- since its a Clouser that plows water as its moving along.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Cliff great idea. I've used a lot of Borski stuff in SW- never thought of it in FW for sculpins- but should be killer.

I like the "plowser". Yowza!

Good luck with them.

Mark