The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 09:11 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all
Default Re: what vise for a beginner

After all my years of fly tying, from big to tiny, I have to agree with tie one on.

GO AND TRY EVERY ONE YOU CAN FIND!!! Reading about them is fine, but can not take the place of actually trying them. See how they each work for you. Then, get the very best you can afford.

<sorta like sex ... you can read all about it, but it won't compare to the actual. Some things work better in theory; some the practical application far exceeds what's been said!!> if this is construed as out of line, mods may remove.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:02 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

As usual, Peregrines review (below) pretty much says it all. IMHO, as a beginner I would recommend the Danvise, for around $80. It does everything that the more-compact Peak vise does, but at half the price. As a beginner, it doesn't make sense to buy the twice-as-expensive Peak, since you get all the same features in the Danvise while you decide whether you want to stay with fly-tying.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:13 AM

catman is on a distinguished road

Get a Peak with midge jaws and you'll take it to your grave.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:48 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

check out the anvil vices, there are made here in the usa, and are great.Only vice I carry in store.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 03-04-2009, 08:02 AM

jackh is on a distinguished road

there is a fly tying class at a local orvis shop every tuesday so maybe ill start stopping in there to check out some vices
Old 03-04-2009, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Jack, that would be an excellent idea. You'll learn a ton as well as get a chance to try a bunch of different vises.

Good luck!

Mark
Old 03-04-2009, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

I disagree with the idea of getting a inexpensive vise for a beginner. I think the Peak vise is a very good vise for a beginner or experienced fly tyer. Lets say you get a Peak vise and hate fly tying. If you hate it with the Peak you could sell it for $100 bucks or at least $80. You are still only out $60 to $80. That is the same loss you would have if you had bought a cheaper vise to start with.

Having a good vise will influence how much you enjoy fly tying. If you want to just try tying a fly get a Vise-Gripe and hold it in a work bench vise or "C" clamp it to your work bench. It will hold a hook so you can play around with tying. Or, better yet, go down to you local fly shop and get a lesson or two. A good shop will be happy to help you out and provide the equipment.

Frank
Old 03-04-2009, 08:45 AM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road

Another vote for the Peak
Old 03-04-2009, 09:05 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I drooled over all the vise ads, and then my wife gave me a Peak. I sold my
Griffin 2A (still a decent vise), and haven't wanted anything else for 2 years.
Two years vise lust free !
Old 03-04-2009, 09:52 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackh View Post
there is a fly tying class at a local orvis shop every tuesday so maybe ill start stopping in there to check out some vices
LOL!!! Most Orvis stores have VISES ... but if you can check out their VICES, !!