The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2009, 05:50 PM

jackh is on a distinguished road
Default what vise for a beginner

im lookin into gettin myself a vise and start tying. im on a budget, so id like to stay under $100 if at all possible. orvis has some pretty nice ones, i saw a dynaking kingfisher for $135 at FTU but thats too expensive. they had some real basic vises for $35 at FTU but they were ****ty. id like it to be one that rotates so i can get to all surfaces of the flys im tying. anybody got suggestions? thanks a ton
Old 02-24-2009, 06:59 PM

Troutseeker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: what vise for a beginner

hello jack,

I am new here but I have been tying for a little while and have had my share of crappy vises, they without a doubt make tying frustrating. Rotary is a good way to go and my suggestion would be a peak vise, it is about 50 dollars more then your willing to spend but if you save up it would be worth it. It comes with a lifetime guarantee, and has the ability to use 3 types of jaws (cost extra) if you see fit to have the extra 2 later as well it has all sorts of accessories that can be added (although i don't use them). All I can say is I love mine and it is very solid (comes with a good base but that depends on if you want a base or a clamp style), anyway that is my opinion. If you want check out Thornes manufacturing and sales they are a Canadian site and sell it for 158.49 (using a currency converter this works out to be about $126.46 US.) They also have free shipping on everything worldwide. I haven't used to many other types as I don't have a lot of places around where I live to try out vises but maybe others will have some other suggestions that stay within your price range.

(not sure if the link will work) Link to peak vise:

Thornes Manufacturing and Sales

Also try here: Selecting the best fly-tying vise, by Hans Weilenmann and Bruce Salzburg

They have some reviews of vises but I haven't read it in awhile and don't remember the price ranges but it could give you an idea.

I hope this helps and if you have any questions about it feel free to ask.

Jeff
Old 02-24-2009, 07:35 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Ck out this web site Hatches Magazine - Fly Tying Vises
& here's another. Selecting the best fly-tying vise, by Hans Weilenmann and Bruce Salzburg

There are so many vises available that it can get confusing trying to pick one. You should be able to get a good vise in the $100.00 range so look around. A lot of tyers started out with a Thompson A which is a standard style & has been around for years & a lot of people still like the standard vises but I agree that your best choice would be a rotary vise if only to be able to look on the other side of your fly. If you know any one who ties ask them to try their vise. Get lessons if you can. Talk to other tyers .. This question has come up on this site before so do a search for vises on the forum.
A lot of people like the Dan-vise so you might look at that one. I have an old Griffen rotary that I still occasionally use & that's a good one also. Sorry I can't give a " Get This One " answer to you but just don't buy a cheaper Kit or you'll end up replacing the vise shortly.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:51 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

Based on reviews that members posted I just got the Dan-Vise. It was to replace the cheapo that came in kit, LOL. Just like FISHN50 said. The reason that I picked that one is all the reviews said that it is the vise to get for under $100. It's mostly plastic parts except the jaws. Seems really good, but I'm new too so shouldn't say yet.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:55 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutseeker View Post
hello jack,

I am new here but I have been tying for a little while and have had my share of crappy vises, they without a doubt make tying frustrating. Rotary is a good way to go and my suggestion would be a peak vise, it is about 50 dollars more then your willing to spend but if you save up it would be worth it. It comes with a lifetime guarantee, and has the ability to use 3 types of jaws (cost extra) if you see fit to have the extra 2 later as well it has all sorts of accessories that can be added (although i don't use them). All I can say is I love mine and it is very solid (comes with a good base but that depends on if you want a base or a clamp style), anyway that is my opinion. If you want check out Thornes manufacturing and sales they are a Canadian site and sell it for 158.49 (using a currency converter this works out to be about $126.46 US.) They also have free shipping on everything worldwide. I haven't used to many other types as I don't have a lot of places around where I live to try out vises but maybe others will have some other suggestions that stay within your price range.

(not sure if the link will work) Link to peak vise:

Thornes Manufacturing and Sales

Also try here: Selecting the best fly-tying vise, by Hans Weilenmann and Bruce Salzburg

They have some reviews of vises but I haven't read it in awhile and don't remember the price ranges but it could give you an idea.

I hope this helps and if you have any questions about it feel free to ask.

Jeff

This is top notch advice!!

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
Based on reviews that members posted I just got the Dan-Vise. It was to replace the cheapo that came in kit, LOL. Just like FISHN50 said. The reason that I picked that one is all the reviews said that it is the vise to get for under $100. It's mostly plastic parts except the jaws. Seems really good, but I'm new too so shouldn't say yet.
I've been using a DanVise for about 10 years and its still going strong. There's others that I think I might like better, but this one works just fine.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

A couple suggestions for you. As I remember you’re in Texas and will chasing bass, panfish and maybe some SW stuff like reds and specs.

The tough thing about buying a vise is that there are a lot out there with different features and designs. It’s also a personal thing so what works well for one person may not for someone else, and to some extent some vise designs are better than others, and a there’s a big range in prices and quality.

So there are a couple ways you could go, but the best way is to see if the shop offers tying classes, or maybe there’s aFF club nearby that does. The Federation of Fly Fishers and Trout Unlimited have affiliated clubs/chapters all over the place, and they offer casting clinics, tying classes etc. and it’s a great way to jump start the learning curve. You can do a search here:
Locate a Club
and here:
Council/Chapter Search | Trout Unlimited - Conserving coldwater fisheries

It would be great if you could take a class with a loaner vise maybe leaving a deposit so you can practice your “homework” and get some tying under your belt before you spring for a vise. That way you’ll have a better idea what to look for, and what works for you.

In addition to fixed jaws, there are two types of rotary vises:

360 rotary- allow you to view the fly from all sides and top and bottom

“True Rotary” or “In-line Rotary” same as above, but they also rotate the shank on a central axis so you can tie using rotary tying techniques- like spinning the jaws to wrap thread or other material around the shank. You can also tie conventionally with “true rotary” vises.

Since you’ll tying on some good size hooks for bass and saltwater, and applying some heavy thread torque on a lot of patterns (spinning deer hair for bass bugs), you’ll want a sturdy vise that won’t tip (c-clamp or heavy base), and good quality steel jaws that will hold large hooks rock solid. Whatever vises you look at, make sure they will hold the range of hook sizes you plan to tie on, allowing some margin for going up or down in sizes in the future.

Here’s a good article on different vise designs:
Fly Fishing Gear, Fly Tying Vises - MidCurrent

Here’s a 2006 review of vises:
Selecting the best fly-tying vise, by Hans Weilenmann and Bruce Salzburg

As mentioned the best thing to do is try a couple different ones to see what seems to work best for you, but just as a starting point, for under 100, I’d look at:

HMH Silhouette – (for about 80) 360 rotary. The “Silhouette SX” not the regular “Silhouette” would be my choice if you were tying a whole bunch of different sized flies-really big stuff and really small in addition to your basic bass and basic redfish type saltwater patterns, it is comparable to the DynaKing Kingfisher in quality and price and has the feature of interchangeable jaws (Midge, Omni and SW) whereas the base model Silhouette doesn’t. But for you, the Omni jaws, standard on the regular, less expensive Silhouette, will hold hooks from small 20’s to 2/0 and would be a good choice.

Danvise (about 80) A good vise, and an exceptional value at the price for a “true rotary”. Although it has steel jaws, many other parts are made of Delrin (plastic composite) so it’s a love it or hate it thing with many tyers. A potential drawback is that you’d probably want to add an extension arm (20 bucks) for tying larger bass and SW patterns, but you wouldn't have to do that right away, only if you needed it. The jaws can be a bit fussy to adjust, but there’s an excellent DVD that explains how to do it, and they hold hooks up to 2/0. It comes as a c-clamp and finding a base for it can be a bit tricky since it’s not the standard 3/8”, it’s metric.

There are a lot of options for a bit more, but this one is also worth a look IMHO:

Peak True Rotary- (about 150) a “true rotary vise” that spins the hook shank on a central axis. It’s a great vise—the only caveat is that it comes with standard jaws that tie up to size 2 (not 2/0). That should be fine for bass, but for SW, you might also want to add the optional salt water jaws (about 35 bucks) at some point down the road to tie larger patterns (up to 6/0!!).

The prices listed above are suggested retail. But you can often find great deals in these tough times if you search around. (The 127 price, with free shipping, on the Peak is a great price.)

Again, try and get your hands on a few different ones. Since you've had some experience tying you won't be starting from zero, so you'll be able to get a sense of what design/features you like.

Good luck.

Mark
Old 02-26-2009, 03:16 PM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

You are not the first to ask this question. There have numerous tying vise questions raised over the time I've been part of this Forum. I'm not sure how long/how far back the administrator keeps threads. You may want to look thru the "archives" for previous discussions.

Everyone has their preference, it seems to be that way with most sporting equipment, no wonder there are so many manufacturers/designs. I myself went thru this same debate/search a number of years ago. I did reading, internet research & even took several fly tying classes. (we used Renzetti rotary's for the classes) I would have bought a Renzetti until I caught wind of the Peak. The many articles I read gave it praises & my budget at the time allowed the $129 it cost me. I have never regretted that purchase. It has worked flawless for me from day one. I liked mine so much my one daughter & I bought one for her fiance two years for Christmas.

Everyones advise maybe different, but mine is very simple. Try several different ones until you find the one that best suits you. It's alot like picking out a fly rod. This one may work great for me, but doesn't feel right in your hands.

Lastly, buy a true rotary, you'll be glad you did,

Tie One On
Old 02-26-2009, 03:42 PM

jackh is on a distinguished road

wow thanks guys thats some great advise yall just gave me and cut my searching probably in half. im pretty sure i want to go witha true rotary though. i watched a video on how to tie some panfish pattern the other day and the rotary vise made that pattern soo much easier. someone stole my packaged fly rod off my front door step the other day so i needa get that straightened out with ups before i spend anymore money lol.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:34 PM

thelumberjack is on a distinguished road

Troutseeker has provided you with some spot-on advice. There isn't much that's more frustrating than a cruddy vise. I recommend spending a little more on a vise that will save you from lots of frustration in the long run and put off getting a replacement after you have yours embedded in the drywall.

I also have a PEAK vise and couldn't recommend a better product!