The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Fly Tying Discussions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/)
-   -   How many boxes of flies ?? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/813-how-many-boxes-flies.html)

tie one on 01-10-2006 10:41 AM

How many boxes of flies ??

Jan. 10 Good Day All,

I was just thinking as I was viewing different threads, how many boxes of flies do you typically take with you when you "hit the river" ?

As of right now I typically take 5-6 boxes with me everytime I'm out. Most of those boxes are about 3" wide x 4" long & each box has a different type & variety of flies. ( Some boxes are drys, some nymphs, etc.) I find myself eyeing additional boxes everytime I'm in a fly shop.

What are your thoughts ?

Always in the water,

Tie One On

fshfanatic 01-10-2006 11:25 AM

Re: How many boxes of flies ??

Popper Box
Streamer Box
Deep Water box

All these are aproz 5" X 10"

BigCliff 01-10-2006 12:15 PM

For me it varies alot. Usually 3-5 boxes, but often will just go out for a short spell with one. I think having them organized by type into multiple smaller boxes works much better than having to move flies around between a few big ones.

JBinUTAH 01-10-2006 02:42 PM

Three boxes so far, and adding. I am fairly new and invested a bit so I would have a start. Don't ask me what the names are. I try and match the hatch mostly. I am only somewhat successfull, but learning a lot.

easternflyfisher 01-10-2006 11:09 PM

2 and a very small wheatly aluminum

1 for dries
1 for nymphs
1 for terrestrials

:biggrin:

Roughrider 01-29-2006 11:27 AM

My home water is the San Juan River. I typically carry 3 boxes, one for dries, one for my streamers, and my C&F box with over 600 little SJ nymphs. Quite often I carry only my C&F box if I know I won't be chucking any streamers or dries, which is fairly often. No sense in carrying 5-8 boxes if I'm only going to use one. I own about 15 boxes though.

Fish Bones 01-29-2006 07:13 PM

It all depends on where I'm going. I have about 10 or 12 boxes full of flies. For most of the waters that I fish I can usually pack two boxes with all of the flies that I should need for a full day. If I'm fishing new water, without much hatch knowledge, then it may take four full boxes to cover most of the bases.

SeanKidd 02-13-2006 02:34 PM

Hey buddy! I talked to Steve Robbins today and I am finally able to use this site. He "fixed the glitch."

And just so you know, I usually take two fly boxes with me.

-Sean

dougm 02-14-2006 03:41 PM

Hard to believe, but after all these years I've never figured out the best way to store and transport my flies; for that matter, I've yet to figure out which ones I am likely to need.

Consequently, there most probably 3 to 5 boxes in the car and one or two in my pocket. I have, however, developed a "must carry" box. As you might guess, it carries a few White-wing Ants, Black Gnats, Black Buggers, more than one Silver Doctor in both wet and streamer form, and a new favorite, a couple of Cracklebacks.

If I ever solve the problem, I know I will be welcomed into the Halls of the Ancient Fish Gods at Stonehenge at Summer Solstice...

cuttbow 03-02-2006 01:18 AM

Hi All

Is 12 boxs too many or too few :eek: Seriously tho I carry between 6 and 7 boxs to new water and 2or3 towater Iknow really well:icon_smil