The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 11:17 PM

DSFlyman is on a distinguished road
Default Wrong Bead Color

I thought the beads were black - they look different in that fluorescent craft store light. I still like the fly though. Do you think it'll work still?

Please see fly photo Below.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:42 PM

HookEmHorns will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Wrong Bead Color

Hey DSFlyman,
I think that should still work. It is a dark color like you said, it looked black to you, so it probably won't make a huge difference unless the fish are just being picky. lol

HookEmHorns
Old 02-28-2009, 12:32 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Looks awesome to this newb. Looks like it fits right in to the latest "chironomid" fly swap. Most of those had a copper or gold head but that green glass head looks good to the untrained eye.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

Here is the photo of the fly that DSflyman posted in the first post. The photo was to large so I moved it down here.

DSflyman, a nice fly. Please don't post pictures that are too large. Your photo was pushing the right side of the Portal Page off of the screen.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

DSFlyman: Nice looking fly! I think I will tie some.

Larry
Old 02-28-2009, 07:33 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

oks good to me!

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:20 AM

DSFlyman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi to all,

Here is the photo of the fly that DSflyman posted in the first post. The photo was to large so I moved it down here.

DSflyman, a nice fly. Please don't post pictures that are too large. Your photo was pushing the right side of the Portal Page off of the screen.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.
Sorry Frank,

I usually reduce the image size before I add it to photobucket.

thanks for taking care of it.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:52 AM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

Ok here is the thing...there is no fish out there that will swim up to this and say "OH its a green bead on that not a black, I will not eat it." Fish cant think that way. More over the eye and brain of a fish does not have the ability to pick up on little details such as green vs black on a bead of a fly. They are programed more simply eat (yes no) swim (yes no) and thats about it. Sure there are smaller things but those two are the biggest. Another is how the environment is making them feel. Ya happy fish over an unhealthy sick fish. Now a more practical view is simply, the fish will get such a short look at that fly and in that time it will "react" to eat it or not to eat it. Most fish will look for things that seam like food but are just a bit odd. The minnow that swims just a tad diff from the rest of the school will get eaten first. Also in water things will appear darker. Most of the time reds, dark greens, dark blues, blacks, or any dark coloring will look similar. Give it some discoloring and they will look the same. When you are looking for a fish like a bass color can be important to the point can they see it or not. With trout they got just a little time to see the fly and if they want to eat it or not. Also the size of a fly makes a big differance I think. The smaller the fly the harder it is and the more likely a trout will hit it out of that reaction over a yes it is food and I will hit it with say a bigger fly. Simply put larger gets eyed more then what little can. How often do you see a size 2 or bigger nymph fly for trout in rivers...I dont. The smaller size tends to hide things we may see as defects.