The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Fly Tying Discussions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/)
-   -   Having some trouble (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/81627-having-some-trouble.html)

bobbyc21fish 12-12-2010 03:26 PM

Having some trouble

Im having some trouble tying the Kaufmans Stone. Everything looks great until its time to tie in the 3 pieces of turkey quill for the wing. When I tie them in, the fibers break apart and it looks like a mess. Even when the fibers dont break apart it still doesnt look rite.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/y...bbyc21/001.jpg

Here is a picture of my nicest one so far.

Bobby

HuronRiverDan 12-12-2010 03:55 PM

Re: Having some trouble

Bobby are you putting flexament on the turkey? Most of my small stones are tyed without wingcases; if I feel I have to have a wing case I tye in some mylar, or Peacock.

Dan

fyshstykr 12-12-2010 04:09 PM

Bobby,
As Dan mentioned some fixative will take care of the issue. Heck, I think your Stone's look just fine.:)

Jimmie 12-12-2010 05:02 PM

That stonefly looks perfect. How did you get the wide flat taper to the body?
The fixative helps a lot with holding all the fiber together even when you are torquing on them. I use Flex-Seal and just paint it on a whole feather at a time usually a day in advance. My instuctor uses something that he sprays on the feather in advance.

bobbyc21fish 12-12-2010 05:18 PM

I dont have and flex cement so I have been using head cement. Ill have to pick some up next time Im at the shop.

Jimmie,

I use .035 Lead Free wire which gives the fly a thicker thorax. I also use a little bit more dubbing for the thorax.

I also like that idea of coating the whole feather with the flex cement. Do you just use a little brush to do that? Also, where do you put the feather to let it dry?

Bobby

Jimmie 12-12-2010 06:08 PM

I do use a little artist brush to apply it to the feather Bobby. I just stand them on end in my foam caddy to dry, but I'll bet a block of styrofoam would work too.
Thanks for the info on how you did your body.

wt bash 12-12-2010 06:27 PM

I do two loose wraps before I put any tension on the thread once its sitting where I want it I'll torque it down. I never thought of using flexament but thats a dang fine idea!

futuramille 12-13-2010 11:10 AM

For stone fly cases, whether using turkey or pheasant, I clip off a section from the quill and coat the whole section both sides with Sally Hanson hard as nails. Set it asside and allow to dry. I tie the case in using the whole section, set to length, tie in and then trim off the remaining section. I then take the remaining piece, cut my V in the end and tie in the next, clip of extra, cut v and continue. I cut off the extra using an Xacto knife as well as cutting the V using the xacto. I find it easier to use the larger section to possition the wing case. SHHAN keeps it all together and also protects it later for fishing and it lasts longer. I'll usually trim each (all three) wing cases on a single fly right behind the bead...using the bead to help with the cutting. you just gotta roll the xacto around the fly and casing material a couple times to ensure a clean cut.

JoJer 12-27-2010 01:43 AM

Here's a way to get that wide, flat thorax: Wrap lead or lead free wire, then squash it flat with pliers, then wrap with thread and glue to hold it in place. Then add a lenght of lead/free wire beside each of side of the previous wraps, wrap with thread and glue.