The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 03:26 PM

bobbyc21fish is on a distinguished road
Default Having some trouble

Im having some trouble tying the Kaufmans Stone. Everything looks great until its time to tie in the 3 pieces of turkey quill for the wing. When I tie them in, the fibers break apart and it looks like a mess. Even when the fibers dont break apart it still doesnt look rite.

Click the image to open in full size.

Here is a picture of my nicest one so far.

Bobby
Old 12-12-2010, 03:55 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: Having some trouble

Bobby are you putting flexament on the turkey? Most of my small stones are tyed without wingcases; if I feel I have to have a wing case I tye in some mylar, or Peacock.

Dan
Old 12-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Bobby,
As Dan mentioned some fixative will take care of the issue. Heck, I think your Stone's look just fine.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 12-12-2010, 05:02 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

That stonefly looks perfect. How did you get the wide flat taper to the body?
The fixative helps a lot with holding all the fiber together even when you are torquing on them. I use Flex-Seal and just paint it on a whole feather at a time usually a day in advance. My instuctor uses something that he sprays on the feather in advance.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:18 PM

bobbyc21fish is on a distinguished road

I dont have and flex cement so I have been using head cement. Ill have to pick some up next time Im at the shop.

Jimmie,

I use .035 Lead Free wire which gives the fly a thicker thorax. I also use a little bit more dubbing for the thorax.

I also like that idea of coating the whole feather with the flex cement. Do you just use a little brush to do that? Also, where do you put the feather to let it dry?

Bobby
Old 12-12-2010, 06:08 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I do use a little artist brush to apply it to the feather Bobby. I just stand them on end in my foam caddy to dry, but I'll bet a block of styrofoam would work too.
Thanks for the info on how you did your body.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:27 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I do two loose wraps before I put any tension on the thread once its sitting where I want it I'll torque it down. I never thought of using flexament but thats a dang fine idea!
Old 12-13-2010, 11:10 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

For stone fly cases, whether using turkey or pheasant, I clip off a section from the quill and coat the whole section both sides with Sally Hanson hard as nails. Set it asside and allow to dry. I tie the case in using the whole section, set to length, tie in and then trim off the remaining section. I then take the remaining piece, cut my V in the end and tie in the next, clip of extra, cut v and continue. I cut off the extra using an Xacto knife as well as cutting the V using the xacto. I find it easier to use the larger section to possition the wing case. SHHAN keeps it all together and also protects it later for fishing and it lasts longer. I'll usually trim each (all three) wing cases on a single fly right behind the bead...using the bead to help with the cutting. you just gotta roll the xacto around the fly and casing material a couple times to ensure a clean cut.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:43 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Here's a way to get that wide, flat thorax: Wrap lead or lead free wire, then squash it flat with pliers, then wrap with thread and glue to hold it in place. Then add a lenght of lead/free wire beside each of side of the previous wraps, wrap with thread and glue.