The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 08:30 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough
Default Bunny

Got ahold of some very nice cottontail tails. I was looking for some nice patterns to tie with them. I have not tied with rabbit hair before, zonker strips I have, but not furr. Any suggestions, tips, ideas, uses...thanks
Old 03-02-2009, 11:08 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default Re: Bunny

I never tried the fur only just the rabbit strips and the mask. i am sure the rabbit fir can be used for something. maybe for dubbing and for tails in nymphs just like the mask. anyone?

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:41 AM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

ya thats kinda what I was thinking. Small things maybe dubbing for scuds. The hair is very fine and short...though theres got to be other uses for it.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

If you're talking about the actual tails--- dubbing is all I can think of too. With guard hairs for a spikey dubbing, without them using the underfur for a smoother dubbing. A lot of dubbing is made from rabbit.

If you have the whole skins you can make zonker strips- cut with the "grain" for typical rabbit strip type flies, or "crosscut" to be wound on the hook shank as a bushy collar.

It'll be cool to see what you come up with.

Mark
Old 03-04-2009, 12:03 AM

Ya I dont have the bunneis with me...their sitting in the snow bank a a friends house. Hes been having Jakcs and cotton tails chewing up his trees so hes been pop'n um with a .22. I was thinking of taking the whole thing waiting for it to get warmer and take the flanks/back off the rabbits and making zonkers but I dont want dead rabbits hang'n around for a nother month yet. Still too cold up here to get out side and try and tan a hide. I get zonker strips for zonker minnows and tails on some of the larger flies I do. I think I may make some scuds from them or dub some bead heads (simply fly with a bead as the head then just a lot of dubbing for a body...sinks good and fish like crappy and perch)