The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 12:53 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Squeaky Bobbin

Does anyone use anything to lube up their bobbin? I'm wondering what if anything to use? Will it ruin the tension? It's loud right where the arms meet the spool.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:38 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Squeaky Bobbin

Maybe try some dry graphite.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Never had this problem, one would think a rubbing along the side of the nose would lube that. As for loosing tension no worries there I wouldn't think.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-14-2010, 03:43 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jimmie,
I've never had a bobbin that didn't need the arms tweaked. My are all Griffin, and I adjust the arms so that there's just enough tension to hold the spool tight enough, and also to keeps things aligned. What brand bobbin is it, and is it noisy with all spools of thread, or one in particular? I find that my Jeep sounds much better when the stereo volume is turned up, so......
Old 12-14-2010, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Jimmie,

You can use a candle or bar of soap. The harder soaps work best. Johnston Paste Wax will work if you rub it on and then wipe it off. Usually enough will stay to lubricate the surface. Apply to the metal ball of the spring. It won't take much to end the sound.

Frank
Old 12-15-2010, 10:18 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Thank you everyone. Johnsons Paste Wax did the trick so I did my Tiemco bobbins with it. Those were the only ones with brass feet and it was one of those that was squeaking.