please help!

rmooney

Reaction score
can somebody please explain to me what a 'dubbing loop' is? i always just twist the dubbing onto my thread and then wrap it, but dubbing loops are called for in many patterns, and i dont know how to do it!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I do exactly as you describe. However, as you mentioned there are lots of patterns calling for a dubbing loop. Basically, what you are doing it creating a large loop using some sort of tool, either homemade or store bought. Usually the tool will have a small hook on one end and a handle. You use the hook to form the large loop. In other words, instead of just wrapping around the hook you create a large loop with the hook on one side and the dubbing tool on the other. Then you take some dubbing material and carefully insert it inside the loop trying to spread the material evenly throughout the loop, you might take 3-4 clumps of dubbing material to fill the loop depending on the size of the fly body you are trying to build. Once you have the material evenly distributed within the loop, then you use the dubbing tool to twist the loop containing the material. Once you have the loop twisted sufficiently, you then wrap it around the hook shank to form the fly body. It is harder to describe this procedure than actually do it. I hope I have described the procedure where you can understand. If not you might try a search on YouTube for dubbing loop. A short video will make it much easier to understand.

Larry

rmooney

Reaction score
thanks alot! i think i have a dubbing tool, i just never knew how to use it. do you just tie it off the twisted loop after wrapping it forward, using the base thread?

tgoodwater2002

Reaction score
Hey rmooney!

Here is a step by step of how to make a dubbing loop. I use a dubbing loop tool. I hope the photo's are easy enough to follow. If not feel free just to ask more questions if you are confused. Hope this helps!!

Attachments

tgoodwater2002

Reaction score
thanks alot! i think i have a dubbing tool, i just never knew how to use it. do you just tie it off the twisted loop after wrapping it forward, using the base thread?
When you tie it off, just use your base thread and tie it off just like you would do anything else. Real simple.

FISHN50

Reaction score
Go to this site & it will give you basic instructions on making a dubbing loop.......Dubbing Loop
After forming the loop you put lined up hair, CDC or whatever inside the loop & twist it up tight & then wrap it around the hook. You then tie it down with main tyeing thread . In effect what you're doing is making a chenille which is simply some type of fiber twisted between 2 threads..
You can make some real bushy flys or make a hair hackle using this method ...
Another site to ck out is........Applying Dubbing Techniques - To Your Own Dubbing - Global FlyFisher.

Good luck with your tying & don't hesitate to ask any questions, this site is a fantastic resource of info.

rmooney

Reaction score
awesome! thanks for all of the great info! tgood, thanks so much for that step by step! there are a couple of flies in the newest fly tyer magazine that call for a dubbing loop, cant wait to tie them!

BigCliff

Reaction score
There's another way to use a dubbing loop that I find a bit quicker. Dub onto the thread like you would normally, only use lots more dubbing, 2-3x the norm. Then attach the hook/loop tool below the dubbed thread and form the loop. Twist the loop, pick out fibers how you please, and wrap the dubbing loop.

I think its quicker because you're dubbing as normal to get the material into the loop instead of putting wisps of fuzz in between two threads.

The best tool I've found for picking out dubbing loops are the hair curlers made from the hook side of velcro. It works REALLY well and will take a long time to wear out.

Backcastwards

Reaction score
There's another way to use a dubbing loop that I find a bit quicker. Dub onto the thread like you would normally, only use lots more dubbing, 2-3x the norm. Then attach the hook/loop tool below the dubbed thread and form the loop. Twist the loop, pick out fibers how you please, and wrap the dubbing loop.
I was at a fly expo last week and while watching one tyer I saw him do exaclty what Big Cliff described.:icon_eek::thumbsup: Piece of cake. The dubbing loop is really not necessary but it does make the fly a lot more durable.
Gary

Midwest flyfish kid

Reaction score
I never used a dubing loop until reading this thread and I made one from a paper clip. Its pretty cool. You can dub really anything with it. I really like using it.

FISHN50

Reaction score
I saw Norm the Nor-Vice guy at a fly show a couple years ago. He can really make that system he invented sing. If I ever break down and get another vice it will be a nor-vice.
Gary
I have an older Nor Vise & only use it for streamers & larger wets. I think Norm Norleander is the only one who can make it look that easy.