The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 06:21 PM

johnwest43 is on a distinguished road
Default Clouser Cripple Minnow

Does anyone know how to tie this fly? I'm referring to the surface minnow not the deep minnow.

Thanks

John
Old 03-17-2009, 08:39 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clouser Cripple Minnow

The Crippled Minnow is just about my favorite bass fly.
I learned to tie it myself from a photo in a magazine but it's not difficult...as long as you know how to stack hair anyways.

Basically...
It's got a marabou tail.. two colors, tied full
Then wrap on a light colored yarn body
(now the hard part)
You need to stack deer hair for the collar, similar to what you'd do for a Dahlberg Diver, but fuller and longer.
Then spin on hair for the remainder of the head (face) and trim to shape.

The purpose of the collar is not to make the bug dive like the Dahlberg.
The Crippled Minnow is designed to float on the large collar, nose up, while the marabou tail wiggles seductively under water
Killer fly.

I hope you can picture this, if not I'm pretty sure it's in Bob's book Clouser's Flies
Old 03-17-2009, 04:03 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

this is the one you want...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbm_img42c45df57c9c8.jpg (14.2 KB, 81 views)
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 03-17-2009, 09:00 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

wow I love clousers! never seen anything like that tho! a floating one. actually now that I think about it, it might have been in the bob clouser fly fishing for smallmouth book

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:03 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I was tying some big Muddler Minnows a few years ago, and decided to add
a marabou tail with two colors...I thought I invented something new !
Old 03-24-2009, 07:57 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

Frank, ya your right...the cripple minnow is much like a Muddler.

HEY McFLY...hey man, there is a book out there all about tying Clouser flies.

Ya the cripple minnow is more or less just spunn buck hair around and around and around. The bigg diff is the maraboo on the back vs. the fine fair and flash that most muddlers have. Though the book shows that the cripple has a much bigger head, their the samething when you get down to it. I usually ty them on a 1/0 - 2/0 hook, but have gone as small as a size 4. Its all in how much hair you want and how much of a poof you want in the back. Getting the right amount of hair to stack, pack, and ty back is the hardest part of the fly.