The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 08:36 PM

pie314 will become famous soon enough
Default streamer books

I am looking for a good book for streamer patterns. Small mouth more specificly. Something good with details and good pictures? Or maybe just a warmwater specific fly tying book?

Brian
Old 12-20-2010, 03:24 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: streamer books

Bates has an old streamer book. You should be able to get it on Ebay or something. I like it.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Brian-

I'm sure there's some great books on smallmouth flies (stuff by bob clouser and harry murray come to mind) but it may be tough to find a lot of different stuff in one spot.

Before you spring for a book, here's a great resource for you to check out:
Fly Patterns - Warmwater Fly Tyer - by Ward Bean

If you click on the different categories (in red) it will take you to a list of patterns in each category, and you can click on the individual patterns for step by step instructions. If you have a bit of tying experience you should be able to follow them with no problem.

If you're new to tying, feel free to ask here if you have any questions about materials or tying techniques--

I'm sure you'll get a lot of specific suggestions for patterns from some of the smallmouth sharpies on this forum -- and we have a bunch of 'em.

Some "standards" for smallmouth include stuff like clouser minnows, gurglers, crayfish patterns, buggers (and variations like the chili pepper), leeches, stuff with spun deerhair (divers , muddlers, flash dancer) and rabbit strip stuff (zonkers etc) large nymphs and big dries like hoppers Stimulators and Wulffs (in warmer weather).

Good luck!
Old 12-20-2010, 06:03 PM

pie314 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the info guys. I am new to tying. I have had 2 classes on streamers. I have tied a wolly bugger and i'm working on the clouser minnow right now in a crawfish pattern.

peregrines- I will look up the flies you suggested and give them a try. I have become addicted to tying now and im just looking for new cool stuff to try, and stuff that will catch fish.

Brian
Old 12-21-2010, 11:55 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

C. Boyd Pfeiffer "Tying Warm Water Flies" is a good start- about $20 on Amazon, but try half.com or some others

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 AM ----------

Oh yeah, and Skip Morris "The Art of Tying the Bass Fly"- a little tougher find, but worth looking for
Old 12-21-2010, 02:06 PM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

BTW, On itunes Orvis has a good podcast on fishing streamers.

Randy
Old 12-21-2010, 06:28 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Pie314: Rather than buy books, take a hard look at what is on YouTube, there is a wealth of knowledge on fly tying on YouTube. Here is just a sample: YouTube - tying streamer patterns

This is probably over your skill level, but an interesting two part video on tying the Articulated Circus Peanut, it's an amazing pattern for targeting big trout.

Larry

Old 12-22-2010, 08:25 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Larry, thanks for the U-Tube video...

Dan