The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 08:48 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Default Little brother has his fly rod.. but now?

Wow its been a while I haven't been on here in ages!! Anyways my 9 year old brother got his fly rod earlier this fall he hasnt been fly fishing yet but now me and my mom got him a good set of beginner fly tying tools and materials but he needs more materials because he will burn through what he will get so far.

What is a good, easy pattern for him to learn with? nothing to complex because he will get sick of tying and not come back so i need easy flys that still catch fish just to get his spark burning.

Click the image to open in full size.

There is one fly im going to start him on because all it contains is a dubbed body and a tinsel rib so it will teach him the basics of dubbing and the basics of wrapping materials onto the body. and i know it catches fish because i have caught young little trout on them.

I was also considering the wooley bugger but that is a hard fly for someone of his age. San Juan worm will be another i teach him... any more?
Old 12-19-2010, 10:07 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Little brother has his fly rod.. but now?

woolybugger
weenie in different colors
Old 12-20-2010, 12:41 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Woolly Bugger - It's easier than you actually think. My girlfriend's eight year old is tying production runs of them already.

Others - Pheasant Tail, Hares Ear Nymphs, SJ Worm, Griffith's Gnat
Old 12-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Great stuff-- congrats on getting your brother started-- I bet he really looks up to you.

I think the woolly bugger is a good one too-- it's big enough that it should be easy to tie--- and it's one of those flies that you really can't tie "wrong" and even the ugly ones work.

Here are a couple more easy ones:

Green Weenie (as Mudbug suggested):
Bead Head Greenie Weenie Tutorial

Brassie
Brassie fly tying tutorial by Tyler Befus

Do you guys also fish for panfish like bluegill? If so, check with your mom, and if it's ok with her, send me your address in a PM (Private Message) and I'll send you some stuff to make some foam spiders to tie with your brother. They're easy to tie, work great and it's always fun to see fish come up to whack them on the surface.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:25 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Small clousers and foam grasshoppers are easy to tie.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi flyfisher117,

I think it creates interest to tie flies that work well. This gives you a higher possibility of catching a fish on something you have tied.

So here are my suggestions on flies for Trout that will catch fish and are not hard to tie. I think any new fly fisher would have a good chance at success with these flies.:

Partridge and Peacock Soft Hackle

Zebra Midge

Copper John

Black Crystal Bugger

Bead Head Scud

Prince Nymph

All of these are easy except for the Copper John and the Prince Nymph. I would work on the others before starting on them.

Frank