The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 04:51 PM

khl is on a distinguished road
Default Do you think this will catch fish?

Hey all,

I was reading through the forums and saw the video posted for a jointed fly. I thought I'd take a stab at it. I didn't follow any patterns or anything - just kind of tied it up.

It's tied on two 3XL size 10 streamer hooks. Overall length is about 3.5 inches. I'm hoping it will work for bass.

If anyone has an idea of what I tied, please let me know . Otherwise, I'm naming the pattern 'Cousin It.'

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Images are big:

Click the image to open in full size.

This is the joint - sorry about the backdrop falling down...

Click the image to open in full size.

Kai
Old 12-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you think this will catch fish?

Kai: Very nice looking fly, it should fish really extremely well. Articulated streamers have become quite popular over the last five years.

Here is a video (Part 1 of 2) that shows how to tie a Circus Peanut:

Larry

Old 12-24-2010, 12:12 AM

Thanks Larry. This was the video that started me off.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:24 AM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

I use a few articulated flesh flies that have done fairly well. As for it working for bass, I couldnt say that, but I would venture a guess is stripped and twitched in a lifelike manner it would work. I know that pike would hammer something like this. I am not sure about muskies as I dont really have access to them.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:03 AM

That brings up an interesting question. In my spinning rigs, I use a metal leader when going after pike, muskie and such. What do you use in fly gear?
Old 12-24-2010, 09:12 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Kai, that will definitely do the trick for SMB...For Pike you can use a wire leader or a heavy flouro as a bite tippet like they do in salt water fishing...

Dan
Old 12-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice streamers,they will catch fish,got some dark olive ones I use in reservoirs...very good for bowsWhy not tie some with rabbit strips?
Old 12-24-2010, 02:51 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by khl View Post
That brings up an interesting question. In my spinning rigs, I use a metal leader when going after pike, muskie and such. What do you use in fly gear?
I use either heavy mono, or nylon coated steel leader material. If I am just targeting Pike I always use the steel. I attach it to the leader by tying a Bimini twist with around 20lb. mono. I take the double line end and cut the end of the loop. I then furl the two lines loosely, and then tie an overhand knot in the end so it stays furled. I take the steel and bend it over on the end about an inch. I tie the furled double line to the steel with an Albright knot so there is about 4 or 5 inches of double line. I then use a Blood knot to attach the single line end of the Bimini to my leader. I tie the fly on with a Twist Melt knot. That's just what it sounds like. Put the leader through the eye, twist the tag end up the main line and while holding it, run it over a lighter and melt the nylon coating together. I have never had one come apart. The first place I saw this twist melt type leader was from Larry Dahlberg many years ago. I have never found a better way since.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:12 PM

Hi JBB. Thanks for the compliment and the suggestion. I will definitely try that once I can get some material.

Tying is still a very new hobby for me - my vise is less than 2 months old and I've tied less than two dozen flies in total - hence the lack of hare.

I think I'm going to start a n00bie material thread for more suggestions as to what would be good to get started with.

Kai

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

Diver Dan,

I think I got everything except for the part regarding the Albright knot. From some videos I googled, it looks like you tie an Albright with one side being a loop.

Do you make the loop in the steel leader? I am assuming so as you've cut the loop made with the Bimini Twist and furled it to make a double width end (I think)...

Thanks,

Kai.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you take the steel leader or heavy mono, and put a 180 degree bend in it about an inch or so long. Take the furled double line of the Bimini and put it through the "loop" the bend creates. Wrap from the far end back up towards the "loop" 5 or 6 turns and then put the overhand knotted tag end of the bimini through the "loop" the opposite direction you went in. Then holding the wraps between your fingers so they don't cross, and make a mess, and using your other hand and teeth, sorta tighten the whole works down, but not real tight. Leave a bit of wiggle room in the whole thing. Then grabbing the wire outside the knot area, and the bimini clear up on the single line finish tightening it down so both the double lines of the bimini are the same length. I generally trim the bimini off so there is 1/8" or so and carefully burn the tag and roll it in my fingers so there is no weed collecting bit hanging out. Then trim the wire just out of the knot. I've never had one of those go loose either. I've had a few of those tested and not had a single one bust at less than the test tippet rate.