The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2009, 08:45 PM

tgoodwater2002 will become famous soon enough
Default I need a trick for fibbets!

Ok, I have been trying to some size 22 CDC biot comparadun's. I am having a hard time with the microfibbets. Are there any tricks out there for tying those in as tails?
Old 03-25-2009, 09:34 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I need a trick for fibbets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoodwater2002 View Post
Ok, I have been trying to some size 22 CDC biot comparadun's. I am having a hard time with the microfibbets. Are there any tricks out there for tying those in as tails?
When I tie them on I make sure they are on the top of the hook & tie them down with about 4 wraps back to where the hook starts to bend. I then take one wrap around the bend of the hook & pull it slightly forward so it rides up under the fibbits & raises them slightly. take another wrap & come up from under the hook between the shank & the near tail, pulling slightly forward to splay the fibbet out. Take one complete wrap around the hook & come down on the far side between the fibbet & the hook shank again pulling slightly forward to splay that side out. secure it with a few wraps & then complete the fly..
. This sounds harder than it actually is to do. It's harder to explain than to do. The other way is to put a small thread or dubbing ball at the bend of the hook & use that to splay out the tails...

Good luck
Neil
Old 03-26-2009, 06:30 AM

tgoodwater2002 will become famous soon enough

Thanks I will try that.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:30 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I do all of the above, but lately, instead of cutting the tag from the thread, I leave it hang at the bend and tie in the Fibbets. I use the tag up the middle of the fibbets to separate. More a split tail than a splay. And I try to get at least 6 fibbets so 3 per side.