The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2009, 04:23 PM

Midwest flyfish kid will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Dog Dubbing question

My dog has a really fine light gray under fur. It is very easy to dub.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:26 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

My yellow has donated lots of "dubbing" to me over the years. I used the under fur for Sulphers, and actually used some of the guard hairs for winging on a Elk or should I say Lab Hair Caddis...

Dan
Old 04-13-2009, 09:51 PM

Eight Weight is on a distinguished road

I've never used dog fur for dubbing...but I have used cat hair for dubbing.
My wife had a couple of long haired siamese/persion mix cats and everywhere they went, they left a clump of hair.
Anyway, I actually caught several trout on cat hair dubbed nymphs.

It's kind of scary what kind of recipes we come up with at the fly tying table...

EW
Old 04-14-2009, 01:26 PM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road

The guy who taught me how to fly fish told me this story:

A group of fishermen were staying at a small Montana lodge and not having much luck. My friend noticed that the fish were taking a small black and gray midge. Returning to the lodge, he spotted Ditweiller, an old black lab asleep on the porch. Instinctively he plucked some hair from the old dog's testicles and tied a midge pattern.

Sure enough, the trout went wild for his creation. Soon all the fishermen were taking hair from the old lab and catching fish. Thus, the famous Ditweiller Fly came into being, although I'm sorry to report that the dog developed a terrible sleeping disorder.
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley
Old 07-10-2009, 12:55 PM

bloodhound is on a distinguished road

damn, i thought i was a wierdo the other day when i was eyeballing a pile of freshly brushed cat hair. as long as it works i guess.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a photo of a nymph made with german sheperd hair I've recently sent to Ard because he's got one.He told me it's as good as bear hair.I've tied emergers with beautiful grey cat hair (but poor Tigris is dead now).
Reminds me a funny story...once I was fishing in the Pyrénées ,another angler was watching me closely,after a few minutes he got near.
Excuse me sir,I've been watching you for a while.
Really? I Didn't notice it
I've seen you catching some fish and I'd like to know what you're fishing with.
With pleasure,with a turkey hair nymph
Ah! that's very interesting!and he walked away
I didn't want to make fun of him,only to joke,thinking he would laugh with me but he didn't...hope that on his way back he realized tukeys don't have hair but feathers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 900 177.jpg (86.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-10-2009, 03:36 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

When our Basset Hound blows her coat in the summer, I comb her out and collect the soft undercoat; which is a yellowish tan color. I keep it in a ziplock bag marked "Daisy". It works well for me for tying baetis nymphs. I haven't tried if for dries, but I may now that I've seen some of the other posts on this thread.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:41 PM

twospots has a spectacular aura abouttwospots has a spectacular aura about

Yup, I use my Springer's black hair for dubbing all the time. My Jack Russle doesn't get much underfur, but there are a few wings on some dry flies made from his hair.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:56 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I still have a big clump of reddish brown fur from my GWP who, sadly, passed 3 years ago. I also have a little clump of cat fur, but I can't remember which cat it came from.
I also find lots of shed cat whiskers that I think would work for tails or quill bodies.