The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2009, 10:48 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice
Default Seal Fur

Is seals fur dubbing illegal for use in the U.S.? I see a lot of overseas tiers using it and saying really good things about it, but I have never seen it.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Seal Fur

Dorian,

As far as I know it is legal, I have some that I've had since the late seventies. It works well but Australian opossum is my favorite dubbing. See if you can locate some of it or domestic in a pinch.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:24 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Dorian,

I think the US has an import ban on Seal. I don't think you can buy Seal Fur in the US. That is why the fly shops don't have it available for sale.

Frank
Old 03-30-2009, 12:16 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Opps, that's what living here will do to ya. I guess I'm confused because Natives here hunt seals so I figured what the hay, most be OK. Like I said I've had some for a long time but like the opossum better.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:09 AM

Troutseeker is on a distinguished road

Hello Dorian,

Being Canadian I can't really speak much about US laws but it is available in Canada. If there is an import ban then getting seal fur will be an issue. I buy from Thornes which is located in Alberta and they have a good selection of dubbing including seal, both natural and synthetic. They have free shipping anywhere but if they can't export it to you then that is a problem. I recommend maybe sending them an email and seeing if they can send it to you.

Here is a link directly to the seal fur, usually I find if a site can't ship based on a ban then they say no shipping outside of country or something but maybe they just don't have that on there.

Thornes Manufacturing and Sales

Jeff
Old 03-30-2009, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

Here is a little follow up.

The US Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972 prohibits the taking or importing of any Marine Mammals or products made from them. It has be updated as recent as 2007. There are some exceptions about taking Seals in Alaska and incidental killing by commercial fishing nets. But it doesn't allow the selling of fur or other products, even by the Alaska Eskimos.

Frank
Old 03-30-2009, 11:50 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Are any of the synthetics close? I see "Semi-Seal" a lot.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:17 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I have a product called "Sealex" & I like it. With all the Synthetics out now you don't need seal fur. These tri-lobal dubbing synthetics are better anyway...
Old 03-30-2009, 03:50 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

who needs to sell drugs when you can just slang some imported seal fur instead!!!

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:46 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

I am currently hoarding a good supply of "unseal" a synthetic, and a Ligas product called "ultra translucent" synthetic seal dubbing.

The unseal I bought in a closeout deal at a local fly shop. The Ligas Inc.stuff can be purchased from them.

Ligas Inc.,275 Brookside,Boulder Co 80302

Has been awhile but i think they are still upand running.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"