The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 08:21 PM

rag will become famous soon enough
Default Tying Salmon Egg

I have the hooks, colored yarn and correct thread.....but, I can't figure out how to tie the yarn to look like a round ball (egg).
Any egg tyers out there?
Old 04-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tying Salmon Egg

Here's a link for tying eggs that Peregrines posted a while back. in this forum. Egg Pattern Tutorial Gallery

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 04-01-2009, 08:57 PM

rag will become famous soon enough

Many thanks, just what I needed. Like many things, it's simple when you know how.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to help.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 04-02-2009, 10:58 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

I use this quick simple way. YouTube - How to tie a Glo Bug tore up soem steelies today on a oregon cheese colored one. the pix of the fish and fly are in the coldwater section

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:52 AM

fishingfly7 will become famous soon enough

I ty up alot of egg patterns. I use a smaller hook like daiichi 1150 size 12 works great on steelies.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:19 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Eggs are easy....I tie mine in various sizes; the clearer the water the smaller the size. You can tie them in single eggs or try the pattern called sucker spawn. For the single egg take about a 1 inch long piece of egg yarn about the diameter of a pencil. Take 4 wraps around the hook shank, then wrap in front and back a few turns. I usually wrap thread around the base like you would for a parachute post. Tie off, then pull straight up on the yarn and cut it. The closer you cut to the hook the smaller the "egg" will be. To put a blood spot on your egg, add a contrasting color of yarn when you do the initial tie.

Dan
Old 04-11-2009, 04:45 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Tying Otters Soft Milk Eggs

Does anyone have a pattern for tying an Otters Soft Milk Egg fly with egg veil? I assume that you would pull the egg on after laying a thread base in the same color and would tie some egg veil right in front of the egg, but I'm wondering how to keep the egg from moving down the hook since it's such a soft material.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:02 PM

Arkie24 has a spectacular aura aboutArkie24 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly View Post
I use this quick simple way. YouTube - How to tie a Glo Bug tore up soem steelies today on a oregon cheese colored one. the pix of the fish and fly are in the coldwater section
Dang McFly! A 37 second video on making an egg fly! That was cool. Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-13-2009, 12:28 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Tying Otters Soft Milk Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
Does anyone have a pattern for tying an Otters Soft Milk Egg fly with egg veil? I assume that you would pull the egg on after laying a thread base in the same color and would tie some egg veil right in front of the egg, but I'm wondering how to keep the egg from moving down the hook since it's such a soft material.
I should have added that after laying a thread base, I assume you'd cover the thread base with some sort of glue, then slide the Otters Soft Milk Egg over it. I'm guessing you'd then wrap a little egg veil on your thread and wrap it around a few turns in front of the egg. Would you then thread wrap the end of the egg veil on the other side of the egg so that it wouldn't clump up on the front of the fly when it got wet?