The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 07:47 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Source for High Quality Schlappen

The other day I watched a YouTube video on how to tie the articulated streamer called the Circus Peanut. I've been interested in learning to tie articulated streamers for awhile, so I thought I would give it a try. One of the materials listed is schlappen so I went on-line and purchased a couple small packs in olive and yellow. In the video he shows his streamer box and mentions that his best producer for moving big trout has been the yellow with orange tip Circus Peanut. I think he is referring to schlappen that is yellow with orange tips, but couldn't find anything two tone on-line so maybe he is dying his own feathers. Anyone have a good source for "high quality schlappen" and does anyone know whether or not you can buy two tone schlappen on-line?

If you watch the first couple of minutes of this video at least to the point where he shows his streamer box you will see what I'm talking about.

Larry

Old 12-29-2010, 08:28 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Source for High Quality Schlappen

I think mine comes from Hareline. You could buy yellow, and get an orange marker and color the tips if you would like. Prismacolor is a good brand to use. Copic is good, but high.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That's a new one on me Larry but depending on what feathers you have before dying you do get some interesting results. I am to the point where I buy feathers in white, then bleach them prior to dying so I get just the right amount of webbing or none if that is what I'm after.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-29-2010, 10:28 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
I think mine comes from Hareline. You could buy yellow, and get an orange marker and color the tips if you would like. Prismacolor is a good brand to use. Copic is good, but high.
Kelly: Great idea, I will give that a try!

Larry

Old 12-29-2010, 10:32 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Oh, I said orange, I meant red. Red and yellow=orange.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:44 PM

Ian Mann 4 will become famous soon enough

He could be wrapping two tone rabbit as well...
Old 12-30-2010, 12:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_e View Post
He could be wrapping two tone rabbit as well...
Big E: I went back and looked at the video and couldn't really tell by just looking at his streamer box, but he does hold up another version of the Circus Peanut that he had tied with rabbit so that very well could be how he is getting the two tone coloration.
I'm going to the Fly Fishing Show in Denver next week and will be on the lookout for high quality schlappen, hopefully I can snag some at the show!

Larry

Old 12-30-2010, 01:18 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

I saw the same video and couldn't find any schlappen at all when i was recentlyu at my fly shop so I purchased some strung neck hackle and I use the webbiest, longest pieces... and it works ok. Some schlappen would definitely make them look better I think. Post some pictures of some and where you found it.

On a side note, what is schlappen exactly?
Old 12-30-2010, 11:08 AM

Ian Mann 4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Big E: I went back and looked at the video and couldn't really tell by just looking at his streamer box, but he does hold up another version of the Circus Peanut that he had tied with rabbit so that very well could be how he is getting the two tone coloration.
I'm going to the Fly Fishing Show in Denver next week and will be on the lookout for high quality schlappen, hopefully I can snag some at the show!

Larry
The other thing he might have done is used orange marabou and hackle and used yellow for the underbody. The video isn't good enough quality to actually see the details of it. I kinda doubt he is using two tone schlappen since its not readily available in this color combo.

I did up a few dozen about a month or so ago and am tying a couple more dozen now. I've got olive on olive, red on black, pink on purple, and pink on white on the go right now.

Here's the olive on olive:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:44 AM

That is one cool fly alright!