The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 05:15 PM

pie314 will become famous soon enough
Default Clouser attempt #2

I THINK I MIGHT BE STARTING TO GET THE HANG OF THESE THINGS. NOW I HAVE TO WORK ON PROPORTIONS AND GETTING EVERYTHING EVEN. HERE ARE SOME OF MY LATEST ATTEMPTS

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
A LITTLE TOO MUCH MATERIAL I THINK.

THE FLASH STARTED TO GET CURLY ON ME FOR SOME REASON ON THIS ONE.

ANY BETTER THAN THE LAST?
Old 01-01-2011, 05:37 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Clouser attempt #2

You are getting the hang of it. Some good ones there.
This took me awhile to learn. I'd wrap a thread head with room to spare, turn around, look back, and the eye was crowded. My mentor said that the wraps were falling forward off the cone. He said to wrap the cone thread heads from the eye back up the fatter part, and keep them tight.

Last edited by Jimmie; 01-04-2011 at 01:40 AM. Reason: add video
Old 01-01-2011, 05:44 PM

Ian Mann 4 will become famous soon enough

Are a couple of those with stick on eyes?

Why isn't the belly tied down?

Can you grab the eyes and spin them?

What type of thread are you using?
Old 01-01-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_e View Post
Are a couple of those with stick on eyes?

Why isn't the belly tied down?

Can you grab the eyes and spin them?

What type of thread are you using?
big e,

The belly of the fly is tied down behind the eyes( the belly is the top of the fly in the picture)

The eyes are dumb bell medium size lead eyes, and they do not spin.

the thread is a gel spun material from danvielle, it works really well for cranking down those eyes tight.

Brian
Old 01-01-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie314 View Post
big e,

The belly of the fly is tied down behind the eyes( the belly is the top of the fly in the picture)

The eyes are dumb bell medium size lead eyes, and they do not spin.

the thread is a gel spun material from danvielle, it works really well for cranking down those eyes tight.

Brian
Traditional clousers are tied much further down the shank of the hook than just behind the eye. I think you'll also find that they are better tied much sparser.

Gel spun is overkill and contributes to your oversized heads.

Can't really tell from the pics but some crystall flash inbetween the layers of deer hair mimics the lateral line quite well. I also coat mine with knot sense (or expoxy) to increase the durability.

They'll catch fish for sure and are a good start. I'm just being critical to help you out because you learn absolutely nothing if I say they look ok.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:21 PM

ghostdncr has a spectacular aura aboutghostdncr has a spectacular aura about

Definitely on your way, Pie! As big_e pointed out, constructive criticism and helpful hints will help you improve much quicker than a round of "looks good".

I tie my flies using sealer (SHHAN) periodically throughout the tying process. This creates a much tougher fly with fewer wraps of thread, and allows me to use finer thread than one might normally think was needed. We all seem to have a tendency to bulk up our flies and must work at tying sparsely. Sparse flies tend to look more realistic and ultimately catch more fish, in my experience, although some waters and schools of thought require MUCH thicker ties.

I would avoid tying white heads unless tying a white/silver minnow pattern. I went down that path and never found any luck with it. Typically, I try matching my thread to the body color. Also, the krystal flash lateral line is a "gotta have it" for me. The difference those three or four strands of krystal make is astounding! Below is a pic of my brown trout Clouser, which is absolute candy for the predatory browns on my home river:

Click the image to open in full size.

the764
Old 01-02-2011, 06:40 PM

I apreciate your comments, constructive critisism is exactly what im looking for as i am trying to become better. As for my large nose sections, im still tryin to learn how much material to use, and i think i got some bad bucktail as the butt ends are very large. I've seen many videos online where people use gel spun and they highly recomend it. Im still in the test stages of tying, i will most likely not be using these next spring, i hope i will get much better by then and have some good looking flies to fish with.

Brian
Old 01-02-2011, 06:56 PM

You'll get there, Brian. This sport has a rather steep learning curve and anyone who's stayed at it has suffered accordingly. You're definitely on the right track!

Looking back at your flies after reading the "bad bucktail" remark, I'm wondering how you're going about stacking your hair before tying it in. Number two from the top looks like it's been stacked and shifted, a technique I use a LOT! The fly on the bottom looks as though the hair was clipped, dropped, picked up, and tied in all out of sorts, which is why I ask. I'm happy to go into more detail regarding stacking and how I do it, if you think it would be helpful.

John

the764
Old 01-02-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie314 View Post
I've seen many videos online where people use gel spun and they highly recomend it. Im still in the test stages of tying, i will most likely not be using these next spring, i hope i will get much better by then and have some good looking flies to fish with.
Brian
I'd use them...they'll catch fish.

The thing about gelspun and applying torque is more for when you are spinning and stacking body/belly hair which is hollow. The majority of bucktail, like most other tail hair, is solid and can only be compressed so much. The proper way to tie in solid hair starts with a 45 degree cut to the front and then wrapped (or holding straight cut hair at a 45 degree angle to the hook shank). In this manner, the hair on top provides even coverage/compression to the hair below it.

Consider the analogy of wrapping rope around a stack of dowels. You can only wrap the rope so tight. Done wrong and loosing just one dowel out of the stack could result in the all the dowels coming out.

Caution should be used be browsing the internet as there is a bunch of misinformation out there and a lot of new tiers aren't able to distinguish what's good advise and what's BS or bad technique.

Just saying.

Last edited by big_e; 01-02-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_e View Post
Consider the analogy of wrapping rope around a stack of dowels. You can only wrap the rope so tight. Done wrong and loosing just one dowel out of the stack could result in the all the dowels coming out.
Beautiful, big_e! That's an image that will stick.

the764