The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2009, 09:18 AM

jcl is on a distinguished road
Default Bass Bug Book Suggestion

It was funny to see the bass bug swap thread today, as I was just thinking I need to get a suggestion for a book on the matter.

I've tied for years and would consider myself not good, but competent, but I've primarily focused on trout and some on bluegill. I've got Clouser's Flies at home that I'm going to start working on (as well as his Fly Fishing for Smallmouths, which has a number of patterns).

I'm looking for a book with some good instructions, not necessarily an encyclopedia of patterns. I know the basics of tying, but aside from muddlers haven't spun deer hair much, haven't used foam or cork or rabbit strips, so I could use something with a little detail on this sort of stuff. So not absolute beginner material, but something suitable for a novice bass bug tyer.

Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking about picking up Skip Morris's The Art of Tying the Bass Fly. Anyone familiar with that one?
Old 04-09-2009, 11:57 AM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice
Default Re: Bass Bug Book Suggestion

check out this website...

Bass Bug Journal

there are pics of different bugs and a list of some books.

you should join the bass bug swap!
Old 04-09-2009, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the tip -- that looks like a great site.

I might have to join the swap -- if I start tying something that I think anyone else might want to use!
Old 04-09-2009, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

jcl-

I think it’s fair to say that Chris Helm is THE MAN when it comes to spinning hair for bass bugs. You might want to get his DVD instead of a book:
/www.amazon.com/Hooked-Tying-About-Hair-Chris/dp/193297878X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1239301630&sr=1-1

(or from him directly at his through his shop Whitetail Fly Tieing - Chris Helm He has a catalog in pdf format (which is a very good resource and very informative) , and he has a great selection of hair and is very knowledgeable. I order a lot from him, and just call him on his 800 number tell him what I’m tying, and he’ll pick out the right stuff. There is a HUGE difference in the hair (where it’s taken from, what species, what age/sex etc etc), and having some one like Chris pick stuff out or recommend stuff will make your life a lot easier. Frankly, he's a pleasure to deal with, very knowledgeable, has competitive prices, fast shipping and just an all around great guy. And if he thinks you don't need something, he'll be the first to tell you, and is in it for the long haul not the quick sales buck with excellent customer service. In this day and age of mass marketers it's nice to be able to support the little guy.

If you really want a book though, this one by Skip Morris is pretty good
Amazon.com: The Art of Tying the Bass Fly: Flies for Largemouth Bass, Smallmouth Bass, and Pan Fish: Skip Morris, Richard Bunse: Books

It has a bunch of patterns including spun deer hair stuff, but some others as well.

mark
Old 04-09-2009, 02:23 PM

That's some great information. Thanks, peregrines. I can't do it now, but I'll definitely spend some time with that catalog and look into his site and DVD.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:49 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Great tips.......good posts.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"