The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 08:29 PM

ghostdncr has a spectacular aura aboutghostdncr has a spectacular aura about
Default Entomology/catching bugs

This is currently all the gear I have for gathering specimens in and around the waters I fish, and have a bad tendency to leave the net back at the car. What equipment do you use, if any at all to gather insects stream-side for closer study at home?

Click the image to open in full size.

the764
Old 01-04-2011, 02:03 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of
Default Re: Entomology/catching bugs

I use similar jars, But Have not needed a net so far as all the insects I have caught were clinging to weed beds or stones in the river, or in a fishes mouth

one of the best things I have got from this is watching how the live insects move in the water and comparing dubbing mixtures to the live ones for colour matching

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 01-05-2011, 07:35 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Entomology/catching bugs

Ya small nets can be a bummer, but a larger aquatic sampling net would be much better. The long cone and fine mesh helps keep mud out and bugs in. all u need to do is disrupt the bottom upstream form the net so everything flows into the net and u got bugs. theirs also jabbing that can be done these tend to get larger bugs and crawfish. a simple water bottle and some sort of mesh like pan or prospectoring pan to filter out rocks and such. lastly use a light and a glass pan to allow for better viewing of what you got. After all of that you just need a good id key for both adult and juvie inverts. I did this for a job for a few years and this is about the simplest way to get the best results. 70% isopropal for preserving anything you wish to keep.