The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 10:50 PM

pie314 will become famous soon enough
Default general supply store

Does anyone have a favorite "general supply" store that has good deals on basic stuff like thread, hooks, lead wire, hooks, ect. Just basic stuff that doesnt require inspection before buying?

Brian
Old 01-06-2011, 12:48 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: general supply store

I get most of my stuff at bass pro.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:35 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Hook & Hackle
Old 01-06-2011, 08:59 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

J Stockard.

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/
Old 01-06-2011, 12:38 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I like the two above as well, and Scott's Fly Shop on ebay. For any sort of chicken I go to The Feather Emporium; feathers for fly tying and feather crafts. every time.
happy tying,
Gary
Old 01-06-2011, 01:21 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

a second for j stockard.

ARFE
Old 01-06-2011, 03:23 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

forgot about cabelas. we have one about 45 min from where i live and the gentleman who runs the fly fishing department is very helpful. plus my daughter loves to look at the fish in their aquariums.

ARFE
Old 01-06-2011, 04:05 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I like my local fly shop in the summer, but when winter comes they don't stock much until early spring. The shop is a combo fly shop/liquor store and they rely on the booze sales in the winter. In the meantime, I also like J Stockard and Feathercraft. Feather-Craft Fly Fishing | Fly Fishing Rods, Reels, Waders, Flies, Fly Tying Materials | Sage Rods | Simms Waders | Since 1955

Larry

Old 01-06-2011, 04:07 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I like J Stockard too, and it arrives in a hurry. I have found Scott's Fly Shop (on Ebay) to have a lot of stuff I need. He has a great selection of synthetics too. 3 dollars for the whole shipping and handling price. I buy at several places though. One thing I hate is high shipping prices. I usually steer clear of that. If I want feathers though, I prefer Conranch hackle overall. I buy from many different dealers though, because not everyone has what I want all in one store. I used to buy from BPS and Cabelas when I first started tying. But since I live in Texas, I have to pay state taxes. So I have not used them in some time. Lately I have been buying stuff for Salmon fly tying. You cannot just get some of that from just anyone, especially the feathers. I am still trying to figure out who is good. I also prefer not to wait forever for a shipment to come in. I have been trying out different places in that area. Ebay has some good deals on tools for fly tying. Scott's Fly Shop or Doc's Fly Shop either one is good for that. Feather Craft also is a place I have been impressed with. They have a large selection of stuff. I like their specialty marabou. Off The Hook has some good deals. I think if you spend 50 bucks they have free shipping.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:45 PM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough

The fly shop inside the Cabelas is pretty good for general stuff that is not worth the shipping and handling but can be a bit more expensive. The MN Fly Angler is good to but also more expansive than Feathercraft, but employees can help you figure something out and are very helpful (same at Cabelas in Rogers). Craft stores are also a great source for wire, head cement, yarn, and beads. Everyone else has mentioned most the good online sources.
The Fly Angler is the Largest Specialty Fly Fishing Store in Minnesota!! At The Fly Angler online store, you can buy fly-fishing fishing Gear, fly-fishing equipment, Fly Fishing Tackle, Fly Reels and Fly Rods On-line! Located in Fridley, Minnesota!

Cabot