The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10108Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 12:18 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

BIG wet fly.
Someone on another forum asked to see this one on a bigger scale for a display.
It is the Black Pennell, a simple (yet very effective) irish wet fly.
I tied it on an 8/0 salmon hook, and it is pictured with a size 8.

Click the image to open in full size.

Addicted To Vise
Old 10-20-2012, 06:33 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Eunan: Great work as always, I really love how you contrasted the two extreme size differences.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:32 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Great looking fly Eunan. I have used that fly recently, and it worked fine for me. However, I used Golden Pheasant Tippets...not the crest. The crest is something I have not seen on this pattern. I think it looks really good, either way. The most important judge though, is the FISH.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:54 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
Great looking fly Eunan. I have used that fly recently, and it worked fine for me. However, I used Golden Pheasant Tippets...not the crest. The crest is something I have not seen on this pattern. I think it looks really good, either way. The most important judge though, is the FISH.
Kelly

The original had tippets. This version is one of two from EJ Malone's Irish Trout and Salmon Flies.

Here are the patterns
Black Pennell (1)
Hook 8-12
Tail - Golden Pheasant Topping
Body - Black Floss or Pigs wool
Rib - Fine Oval Silver
Hackle - Long Black Cock
Note - This is extremely close to Cholmondeley Pennell's original dressing. The body is thickened at head so that the hackle fibers are flared outward

Black Pennell (2)
Hook 8-12
Tail - Fibers of black cock
Body - Black seals fur
Rib - Oval Silver
Body Hackle - Shortest fibered Black Cock
Sh. Hackle - Black Hen (2 turns)

Addicted To Vise
Old 10-20-2012, 10:05 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Thank you! You know, the bluegill liked the one with the tippets. I am gonna try the crest for a tail. I appreciate the recipes.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:40 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

This time of year it's Blue/White Clousers by the ton. I went through three last time out. Pike killed one, hooked bottom and lost one, blew an anchor and killed one on a rock behind me. Oops.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:04 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Tried my hand at a new one for me, sorry pics suck. If there is a thread on how to take decent photos while fly is still in the vice please let me know. This pattern's ingredients is given in a book on fly fishing Rocky Mt Park. The creator of this one is a local guide and bamboo rod maker. This pattern is the Frank's Flashy. Hope I did Frank's pattern justice. I think it turned out good, even though I should have went just a tad further down the bend of the hook. Also the tail is a tad longer than Ilike.

I hope the fish like it. I tied it up in a 18 and 14, this is the 14

kelkay likes this.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:40 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

kelkay likes this.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:45 AM

Royal Coachman Speys for a swap on another forum. You can find a Step By Step here
Tonight i'm doing my sparkle maggots for the swap on this forum and they'll ship tomorrow.
kelkay likes this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 10-23-2012, 06:30 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
So I finished a similar box for one friend I fish with and thought heck do another one for another guy I fish with....I must have been loco, I need to tie me some flies

Left Side of the box Bigger Nymphs, Pheasant Tails, Hot wire prince, Rainbow warrior, Winter Warrior (Thanks TB for the pattern). I want to try those red pheasant tails I tied there with CDC legs ( bottom right)

Right side, all smaller midges and such as Blue and Purple Poison Tungs, Tube midges, Tailwater Tiny's at the bottom, brassies and red copper johns in 18 (my tails suck on the copper johns)

In its entirety, my wife seems to think I should tie these and sell them on Craigslist. Even at $1.00 per fly and the box that is $300....dont know who would shell out that kind of coin (besides me)
I'd pay that much for it...Unfortunately we don't have a whole lot of tailwater over here in NE Ohio.
kelkay, futuramille and popperfly like this.