The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree12237Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 03:16 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Hi Laurie,
I hope your doing well and on the mend
Great selection of flies! very nicely done I do have to ask about the WILKINSON STIMULATOR, under what conditions would you use a fly of this colour?
I have used purple for wet flies but never dry.

All the best to you and thanks!
Old 07-21-2011, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great flies Laurie flytying at hospital is very unusualbut for sure a good way not to get bored
Gary I like your bombers ...I think I 'm going to tie some to fish fast waterspity I didn't see them before going to Austria.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:52 PM

laurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to behold

hi Darwin
the wilkinson stimulator is used mainly as a seatrout fly, it is pulled through the wave on the loughs to create a wake, it is also good when fished on a sinking line pulled underwater as fast as you can, it really induces a take.
I am currently working on some flourescent stimulators for lough Mask an Lough Melvin
Old 07-21-2011, 03:55 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default One more in the Bomber family

It's called a Burdock. Looks like one, no? Salar likes it.
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
argail likes this.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:57 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie View Post
hi Darwin
the wilkinson stimulator is used mainly as a seatrout fly, it is pulled through the wave on the loughs to create a wake, it is also good when fished on a sinking line pulled underwater as fast as you can, it really induces a take.
I am currently working on some flourescent stimulators for lough Mask an Lough Melvin
Cheers Laurie,
Maybe I should try a small version on the trout and see how they react! Fluorescent, now that is an interesting spin to try.
Many thanks

Gary,
Nice collection of bombers you have there.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:42 AM

laurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to behold

Hi Guys some great bomber patterns, i have tied a few up to try out next week on our salmon river. Today i am going to try out some new depthcharge patterns, quilled bodies and wire bodies,we tried these out 2 weeks ago with amazing results. the best pattern was the suspended buzzer the trout just loved them , the quills are from a mallard wing quill stripped and dyed red tailled depth charge Click the image to open in full size. orange tailled depth charge Click the image to open in full size. claret wire bodied depth charge Click the image to open in full size. suspender buzzer Click the image to open in full size. this is what it looks like in the water Click the image to open in full size.

hope you enjoy them
trout333 and trout sniper like this.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:05 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Those are very nice, and unusual flies. I think you did a fantastic job on them.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:14 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Tied some size 12 GRHE today, the browns have been enjoying them "almost" as much as I have.

Dave
Old 07-24-2011, 12:04 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I was recently introduced to these during a local fly swap. He called them "Mini Hoppers" but they are basically just Bubble Caddis with rubber legs.

I tied these up for a small spring creek trip tomorrow.

Click the image to open in full size.
wt bash, argail and rubberguy like this.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:24 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Great Hoppers........

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"