The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10597Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 08:10 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Oh, I have plenty of midges, just not that black beauty. Zebra midges, rojo midges and a variation of the zebra have been really productive for me. During our last outing Chi used one and hooked into a steelie with it. He lost the fish, but was sure it took that fly on the tandem. Basically, think Zebra midge on a 20, clear glass bead, copper wire and a tuft of CDC trimmed just behind the bead.

I also tie one just about like this but with light tan thread and a red bead. Deadly fly.
gatortransplant likes this.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:58 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Got a dumb question since I don't know anything about salmon flies.
Are the bright patterns to imitate small minnows, or are the colors just attractors to get them to take an offensive bite? Will large salmon eat something like a drab gray minnow as food (or is color the only way to go)?

We have kokanee salmon in Colorado, and they will supposedly strike at pink/red/purple hues because the colors are similar to other spawning fish (yet to catch one though).

Cool patterns on the tube flies and the wing styles.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:15 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

The salmon patterns are more attractors than imitators. Atlantic salmon don't eat (supposedly) when they enter the rivers to spawn. So bright, gaudy, and bloody big patterns are used to aggravate them into striking. The idea works good for steelhead too. But they will take a whack at anything that comes in their "zone". Including dries. I think Gary (Gto5254 on here) wrote in his blog about salmon sipping caddis one afternoon up in Ca.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:20 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Click the image to open in full size.

TDT (tons de terre) MIDGE…TMC 2499SP BL…#18…

PT/TB
madjoni and wt bash like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 11-28-2012, 09:44 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Tied these for an old Hardy box for a guy on another forum
Cow Dung, Snipe and Yellow, Partridge and Orange all size 12.

Pocono, mcnerney, kelkay and 6 others like this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-28-2012, 08:05 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Tied up some dry's and wets tonight.

My idea of a spider.

Parachute

Skeeter

Rusty Skeeter (not sure what ya call it)

Please excuse the iphone junk in the photo, I didn't wait long enough before taking screen shot

little creation

little shrimp variation

cheers
phil
mcnerney, kelkay, Guest1 and 6 others like this.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:32 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Tied up some more flies for the upcoming trip to Mosquito Lagoon!

Tonight's ties were the clousers, redfish worm flies, lefty kreh shrimp flies, and the borski shrimp variant flies!

I also took about a half hour to clean up the tying desk. It was a nightmare and I couldn't find anything

mcnerney, Guest1, jpbfly and 4 others like this.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:27 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice flies guys! I'm really liking this thread. OK I got a bunch of fun new stuff to tie flies with and since I did not get to fish as much this Fall I didn't need to replace many flies. Now I am just tying for fun. I kind of use fly tying like some people use Valium. The difference is this is more addicting than Valium. When I get to tie for the fun of it I don't do a lot of the same fly over and over. I tie things like a Bomber, followed by a Pike fly, an intruder.... well like the photo. By the way, the clouser on the rght is just buck tail and glow in the dark flashabou. It is a full 5 in. long and articulated. Wahoo! The fly next to it is the fish skull version of a clouser. I think I really like these things. The far left fly is an intruder and hits about 6". I didn't put the normal grizzley wings and went more along the lines of the 'Marty' winter intruder. I tied it on a turned eye blue articulated shank and the hook is a removable thing on 50lb power pro. The orange and yellow fly is a Reynold's Pike fly the way I tie them with a Daiichi 5/0 2720 as opposed to the now discontinued Mustad 1/0 37187. Despite the 1/0 to 5/0 thing they are exactly the same size. Nice industry standards huh? The Blue Bomber is tied on a Partridge CS42 #6 Bomber hook. I treated it and the little Dahlberg I tied with Scotch Gaurd. It's something I started doing a long time ago. They float much longer and better than an untreated fly. The Green and yellow popper is a tube fly. I'm starting to like the tube fly idea better for poppers than on a hook. The tend to pop better, plus they don't get off in the weeds as easy on these. I just put an Alec Jackson 1.5 spey iron in the vice. I think I may do something more traditional on that one. Still thinking about it.

---------- Post added at 04:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
We have kokanee salmon in Colorado, and .....
I told this story once before on here, but...

When I lived in Colorado, up in Dillon, I had a friend who worked for the Molybdenum mines up there. He was a French Canadian. I had been fishing and got several Kokanee. I told him he should come and Salmon fish with me. He looks at me and says, "You have Salmon here? How big do they get?" I say Yes and hold my hands up about the size of a good Kokanee and say "they get about this big." He tells me, "Yah, we have Salmon up in Canada to. About the same size. How do you measure yours?" So walking right into it I say, "From the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail." He said "Ohhhhh, we measure ours between the eyes."

That would make for a pretty big fish eh?
mcnerney, kelkay, jpbfly and 6 others like this.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Nice flies guys and some interesting patterns there
Old 11-29-2012, 10:24 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Pocono, Guest1, madjoni and 6 others like this.

Addicted To Vise