The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10018Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

These have turned into fish catching items that I need to have at least a few with all the time so I made some new.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

When the blinged up Freight Train slows down I have been using this and picking up a few fish.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
wt bash and rubberguy like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-24-2011, 05:40 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Nice, Ard; what are you hackling with?
Gary
Old 07-24-2011, 07:15 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I agree, cool hoppers!
Old 07-24-2011, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Gary,

I'm not sure how it's spelled but I bought some big strung Schlapplen (?) in white and dye them for different flies.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:46 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Ard

With these patterns for salmon are they replicating a natural prey that instinctively induces a strike or is it as simple as the "color of the day" that tics them off?

Beautiful Work

Dave
Old 07-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Administrator

I have no idea exactly why they take a fly. I do believe that it is simply a reflex action learned while feeding during development to an adult. The colors certainly appear differently to the fish due to their sight and the refracted light in the underwater world. The flies are tied to my own fancy and I have proven that I can catch the fish on anything I tie. It is the presentation 90% of the time but the colors help for the fly to be noticed as it passes. The speed of the fly as it travels is also a factor, some species are more inclined to grab a slow moving object while others will chase a fly that is really zinging along.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:51 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
I agree, cool hoppers!

This little guy thought so today also. If you look in his mouth you can barely see one of the orange/yellow mini-hoppers in his mouth.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:03 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

I'm gonna be a busy camper the next few weeks. I somehow lost my Allen Co. C&F knock off three page fly box with about 600 flies in it. It had all my larger (#18 and up) flies in it. Scuds, stones, craneflies, wet flies, still water flies, Ptails, copper johns, prince nymphs and more. Arrrrrrghhhh.

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/
Old 07-25-2011, 08:13 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Oh, man, nothing worse than having all your eggs in one basket and losing the basket!! I feel your pain!
Gary
Old 07-25-2011, 12:54 PM

gila steve is on a distinguished road

Man Yat thats a big hit, your gunna be a fly tying sonofagun. I tied some big#12 Elk and Deer hair Caddis and some mosquitos over the weekend. It had been awhile since i have tied anything and i was rusty....If i had to tie 600 flys it would take me the rest of my life lol.
Sure are some nice ties here, Good job everyone!
Steve