The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree11368Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 05:10 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Click the image to open in full size.

BROKEN BACK CREAM TIGER MIDGE - Basso/Variant...TMC 2499 SP BL, #18 / Daiichi 1130, #20...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 12-03-2012, 07:07 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a killer looking fly gator, very well done
Old 12-03-2012, 10:04 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Getting ready to sculpinate! Still gotta few more in olive to do.

mcnerney, kelkay, madjoni and 3 others like this.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:48 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

WT, those are AWESOME! The little pectoral fins really sell the pattern. Here are some swimmers that fell out of my vise recently, which those in the saltwater swap will be receiving:
mcnerney, kelkay, madjoni and 6 others like this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-04-2012, 01:43 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

20inchers...

mcnerney, kelkay, madjoni and 5 others like this.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:42 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Once again I will be traveling to Florida for the Holidays to stay with my girlfriend's family and friends. There is talk of a backcountry trip to the everglades, a few days on a sailboat in the keys, and a few days of possible shore fishing in miami/biscayne area. I never know what to expect other than to be patient and ready (like any good predator!)
Last summer I finally got a few salt fish on the fly (cuda, bone, and some snapper). I have never cast at a tarpon, and only seen a few. The few sightings I have had let me know exactly why they are such a desired species.
Not even sure I will have a chance to cast these, but when the chance arises, I hope to be ready. If not this trip then the next. In addition to p00n punchers, and some other known patterns, I tied up a new batch to add to the box.

Tarpon Bunny Suite
All in 3/0 except the bottom one is 6/0. The two yellow flies are tied with intention of shark, mackerel, or barracuda; both have pre-tied 30lb. steelon leader already attached for quick access.

AJ, thanks for the advice! I've got about 10 smaller minnows in #4-8 drying, (white belly/black back, white belly/purple back baby mullets, and tan chamois spoon style minnows).
Pocono, madjoni, stl_geoff and 4 others like this.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:58 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Fanwing

phil
Old 12-06-2012, 10:06 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

After tying up a few final clousers for the saltwater box, I decided to start playing some deer hair.

I wanted more of a pencil popper shape and wanted the back end to squat after a strip. To achieve this, the back hair was tapered down to a very small diameter and I put a couple of post wraps on the feather base so they pointed up ever so slightly.

The result is a popper with a butt that lifts slightly on the strip and then squats on the pause.

I also treated the front face with UV knot sense to ensure it stays stiff and slightly cupped. It's a nice way to really add and hold shape to the face of these things.

P.S. Crappy picture - took it with the phone and in a bit of a hurry. The wife was getting aggravated with me for locking myself in the fly room

Old 12-06-2012, 11:03 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Last night I finished up what were my 100% had to have flies for Florida ( BTW- AJ its only 23 days away now ) Tied a bunch of redfish slider patterns in different colors, black, purple, tans, white/pink. Tied a couple more grasset snook minnows in root beer, pruple and black, a couple gurlgers in charteuse, pink and clown vomit, and a few crabs with those EP dubbing brushes, which is soem neat stuff. Pictures to follow soon.
gatortransplant likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 12-07-2012, 05:55 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

I guess i haven't gotten all the Jungle cock wings out of my system yet. Goin to try some more deer hair head and wing/legs. I think it may work good as a muddler variation or perhaps as a caddis.

tail: dyed red deer hair
body: synthetic peacock herl flash
wings: jungle cock
collar/head: dyed brown deer hair.

cheers
phil
madjoni, bradyb, itchmesir and 1 others like this.

Last edited by noreaster; 12-07-2012 at 07:02 AM.