The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree12398Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 01:34 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

@ted, are you making your own popper heads or painting purchased ones?
I am interested in both options. I know cork is an option, just wondering about other materials that have been used.

Continuing on my saltwater tying spree (never mind the fact it will only be my second salt/fly trip ever...)
It might seem silly to try to invent a fly for an area that I have no experience with. But, fly tying is all about creative expression and wanting to test our trade even in new arenas. Thus, I set out to create a lightweight impressionistic shrimp/crab attractor pattern with a weedguard and rattles.
#2 stainless umpqua hook, grizzly marabou, mono eyes, silicone legs, flash and some dubbing.
40lb. mono (cheap stuff) for a weed guard and a bead and a cone head loosely tied for a rattle.
Click the image to open in full size.
Hardyreels and thorsten like this.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:45 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

I'm just using the Waspi foam heads. I have attempted to shape some foam heads using a dremel as a lathe, but I always seem to screw them up. I also have a bunch of pre-shaped cork heads laying around. I don't tend to use them that often though.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:35 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Old 12-09-2012, 12:34 AM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about

so im pretty new to making flies. this is my second year for tying trout and steelhead flies and first ever for tying bass flies. here are some streamers from the last 2 days. im enjoying it much... any hints?

madjoni, jaybo41 and thorsten like this.

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing
Old 12-09-2012, 02:11 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

This was my second try at this streamer, the first one blew up and I'm gonna do one or 2 more to see if I can get it down. I imagine it will catch a fish in the spring. The beauty of our fish is that they're curious and bright colors interest them.

I've never tied this before but saw an example and thought it was very different. It's called Lord Ibis, originated by Preston Jennings. I did this on a Bartleet #6 and all was well until the back side wing sheath slipped up and wanted to stay. The more you might want to mess with that, the worse it'll get...............

But hey, I'm tying a little,

Ard
Pocono, kelkay, madjoni and 10 others like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-09-2012, 09:04 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

These are from over the last week. A variety of wets, muddler and other attractor patterns. Most could be fished dry I suppose if they were treated. The wild brookies I fish generally don't seem to mind or be too picky.

cheers
phil
Old 12-09-2012, 12:08 PM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

Wow, I am really impressed about all your great flies - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!
baseman1 and noreaster like this.

THORSTEN
Old 12-09-2012, 05:31 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

Blue Lee variant after EJ Malone
Lots of work still to do
Hackle doesn't reach close enough to the head
GP tippet subwing too bulky
Always difficult working with bronze mallard
Salmon iron from Laurie

Old 12-09-2012, 07:42 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by il_wi_fishing View Post
so im pretty new to making flies. this is my second year for tying trout and steelhead flies and first ever for tying bass flies. here are some streamers from the last 2 days. im enjoying it much... any hints?

Those look very fishable! The only suggestion I would make is maybe swinging the dumbbell eyes to the other side of the hook on the first two patterns if you want to limit snags, but otherwise the patterns look good! If you're not worried about snags, they'll catch fish as they are.

Ard, that Lord Ibis is really neat!
Hardyreels likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Thanks AJ, I like your streamers, they would work well here in salt or fresh water.

That Jennings streamer.......... If at first you don't succeed, try a different hook

I used a Tiemco streamer hook and did another, I believe I'll need to dye some new goose before I'll get good slips but that's another day.

popperfly and jaybo41 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;