The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree11048Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 02:01 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Talked to my dad to try and get a materials list and SBS....he directed me here.

Hope ya'll enjoy!

Search - The Weekly Fly
Old 12-11-2012, 02:53 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Have been tying for a friend who just got his first fly rod. Here's a black stonefly from today.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hook: Allen 2312 size 8
Weight: lead tape on hook shank
Tail and Antennae: Black turkey biots
Dubbing: Angora goat black
Ribbing: small gold wire
Legs: medium dun mallard flank
Back: mottled oak golden stone thin skin
Pocono, mcnerney, kelkay and 7 others like this.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:27 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: What have you been tying today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Have been tying for a friend who just got his first fly rod. Here's a black stonefly from today.

Hook: Allen 2312 size 8
Weight: lead tape on hook shank
Tail and Antennae: Black turkey biots
Dubbing: Angora goat black
Ribbing: small gold wire
Legs: medium dun mallard flank
Back: mottled oak golden stone thin skin
That's a killer looking stone. Nicely done
Old 12-11-2012, 11:30 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

I posted this on another forum, but this is my first stab at a stimi from about two hours ago. Tail is a bit short and thick. Size 8 salmon fly hook. Golden stones, anyone?

Old 12-12-2012, 06:34 AM

bigkais89 is on a distinguished road

My first attempt at any nymph pattern. This is a size 12 copper john tied with black wire and a fluorescent orange bead. Its aimed at steelhead. Kind of an egg sucking stone type pattern. Its rough ...but its a start. Any suggestions how i could improve it. I already know i need to invest in a better vise...i was makin up new words using my current one lol.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
kelkay and jaybo41 like this.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:30 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkais89 View Post
My first attempt at any nymph pattern. This is a size 12 copper john tied with black wire and a fluorescent orange bead. Its aimed at steelhead. Kind of an egg sucking stone type pattern. Its rough ...but its a start. Any suggestions how i could improve it. I already know i need to invest in a better vise...i was makin up new words using my current one lol.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Please take this for whatever it's worth to you. That will certainly hunt and not bad first attempt at a nymph by any means! In fact, considering the difficulty of the fly, I'd say that's pretty good! Copper Johns are what I would consider to be a middle of the line/more advanced nymph to tie. There's a lot going on with different materials, but I've been learning to sort of break them down into various steps, and be more deliberate in each step. I still sort of struggle with CJ's, though I might have to give them another crack sometime soon.

A couple of things strike me when I look at your fly. First, the bead is too large, which I think is throwing the rest of your proportions off on the body. I think that's also why your wraps at the head are crowded. For contrast sake, have a look at the Hares Ear's in brown and olive next to your fly. See the difference in bead size and the lack of crowding around the head? Also, CJ's seem to go better on at least a 1x long shank, at least when I've tied them before. The tails and legs may be subjectively long, though I sometimes tie longer legs and tails on purpose. Rule of thumb is always measure to the hook shank. Not sure what size black wire you're using, but I can't distinguish segmentation. For a #12, you'd want a larger size wire--IMHO. I get it though, you're likely going with what materials you have on hand and that's totally cool. Make the best of what's available.

Have a look at this thread to help you with legs, it REALLY helped improve my tying in legs. This technique has been a real game changer.

Unique Nymph Legs

As for the need to upgrade your vise, unless you are having problems with the hooks slipping inside the vise, it doesn't NEED to be replaced. Myself and others have tied many a fly on the old Thompson A style of vise for many years. My first one was a cheapie that came in a Cabela's tying kit around 12 or so years ago. I learned to make it work. The advantage of a rotary vise when tying Copper Johns certainly comes into play because instead of wrapping by hand around the shank, you can turn the handle. I have found that it gets me cleaner wraps generally speaking but not enough to justify spending the outlay on a new vise just for that purpose.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Please take this for whatever it's worth to you. That will certainly hunt and not bad first attempt at a nymph by any means! In fact, considering the difficulty of the fly, I'd say that's pretty good! Copper Johns are what I would consider to be a middle of the line/more advanced nymph to tie. There's a lot going on with different materials, but I've been learning to sort of break them down into various steps, and be more deliberate in each step. I still sort of struggle with CJ's, though I might have to give them another crack sometime soon.

A couple of things strike me when I look at your fly. First, the bead is too large, which I think is throwing the rest of your proportions off on the body. I think that's also why your wraps at the head are crowded. For contrast sake, have a look at the Hares Ear's in brown and olive next to your fly. See the difference in bead size and the lack of crowding around the head? Also, CJ's seem to go better on at least a 1x long shank, at least when I've tied them before. The tails and legs may be subjectively long, though I sometimes tie longer legs and tails on purpose. Rule of thumb is always measure to the hook shank. Not sure what size black wire you're using, but I can't distinguish segmentation. For a #12, you'd want a larger size wire--IMHO. I get it though, you're likely going with what materials you have on hand and that's totally cool. Make the best of what's available.

Have a look at this thread to help you with legs, it REALLY helped improve my tying in legs. This technique has been a real game changer.

Unique Nymph Legs

As for the need to upgrade your vise, unless you are having problems with the hooks slipping inside the vise, it doesn't NEED to be replaced. Myself and others have tied many a fly on the old Thompson A style of vise for many years. My first one was a cheapie that came in a Cabela's tying kit around 12 or so years ago. I learned to make it work. The advantage of a rotary vise when tying Copper Johns certainly comes into play because instead of wrapping by hand around the shank, you can turn the handle. I have found that it gets me cleaner wraps generally speaking but not enough to justify spending the outlay on a new vise just for that purpose.
Thanks for the tips i really appreciate it. I ll def take them into account moving forward. I def think i could use some bigger wire...it's what im using for sz 18s as well so prob undersized. Like u said im making them with what i have lol. I actually intentionally got the larger bead for this pattern just bc i wanted an egg type appearance...larger than a brass bead. And ya the fly does slop around in the vise...i need to upgrade to a different, higher quality one. Once i get better w the wire and all the different materials im sure they ll improve...theres just soooo many steps!

Old 12-12-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkais89 View Post
Thanks for the tips i really appreciate it. I ll def take them into account moving forward. I def think i could use some bigger wire...it's what im using for sz 18s as well so prob undersized. Like u said im making them with what i have lol. I actually intentionally got the larger bead for this pattern just bc i wanted an egg type appearance...larger than a brass bead. And ya the fly does slop around in the vise...i need to upgrade to a different, higher quality one. Once i get better w the wire and all the different materials im sure they ll improve...theres just soooo many steps!

Look at this tutorial as you tie, but replace steps 21-24 when you tie in the legs with the link I sent you in the previous post. I found it much easier, as I was using this method before.

Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

Brassie sized wire on a fly that big won't cut it. You need larger wire, or tie a smaller fly If you really want an oversized bead, then you should be looking for a hook with a longer shank.

Sounds like it is time to replace your vise.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:19 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Stimmy looks good, i love fishing those flies ( mainy because they are crazy colors and I can see em ha! )

Here's an update to my salt box from a few pages ago, all stocked and ready for FL now ( 17 days now dude!! )

kelkay likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 12-12-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Look at this tutorial as you tie, but replace steps 21-24 when you tie in the legs with the link I sent you in the previous post. I found it much easier, as I was using this method before.

Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

Brassie sized wire on a fly that big won't cut it. You need larger wire, or tie a smaller fly If you really want an oversized bead, then you should be looking for a hook with a longer shank.

Sounds like it is time to replace your vise.
Thanks again...i think ill be gettin smaller beads and ill just use those for buggers.