The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10588Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 09:46 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Not to be contrary but I like the bigger bead for a steak and eggs type pattern. You can still use a big bead like that, check out the slotted beads. You can position them in a way that gives you plenty of hook gap and still look like a natural sized egg.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:04 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Not to be contrary but I like the bigger bead for a steak and eggs type pattern. You can still use a big bead like that, check out the slotted beads. You can position them in a way that gives you plenty of hook gap and still look like a natural sized egg.
I hadn't really thought of hook gap, but I guess that's a consideration too. And in that regard, you're right. When I made those comments about bead size, I was basing that on my own experiences tying a standard size nymph hook with an oversized bead. Depending on the fly pattern, it can work, but often it sets the proportions out of kilter for the rest of the fly. At least when I've tied them anyway. Thread based flies like Iron Lotus, Frenchie, or even some dubbed ones like caddis larva that have lesser going on with materials might benefit from it. Copper Johns, especially with an oversized bead would be better tied with a longer shanked hook. At least to suit my taste anyway.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:24 AM

bigkais89 is on a distinguished road

I think the large bead throws off the proportions making the hook seem shorter. They re dai riki nymph hooks with what i thought was a longer shank. The bead just takes up alot of room making the body look short. Im sure od i tied them with a proportionately correct bead it d look right.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-12-2012, 02:14 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Click the image to open in full size.

GR GUIDE DIP - Matthews/Variant...TMC 100SP BL, #16 - #20...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 12-12-2012, 03:18 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

I think this thread needs to be a sticky.
jaybo41 and itchmesir like this.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by newby View Post
I think this thread needs to be a sticky.
Newby: Done!
jaybo41, itchmesir and newby like this.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:10 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkais89 View Post
Thanks for the tips i really appreciate it. I ll def take them into account moving forward. I def think i could use some bigger wire...it's what im using for sz 18s as well so prob undersized. Like u said im making them with what i have lol. I actually intentionally got the larger bead for this pattern just bc i wanted an egg type appearance...larger than a brass bead. And ya the fly does slop around in the vise...i need to upgrade to a different, higher quality one. Once i get better w the wire and all the different materials im sure they ll improve...theres just soooo many steps!

imho... Brassie sized wire will cover copper johns and other similar wire body nymphs from size 12 all the way down to size 20...
Old 12-12-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
imho... Brassie sized wire will cover copper johns and other similar wire body nymphs from size 12 all the way down to size 20...
I tied two more. Another 12 w a hot head bead and a normal brass beaded size 18. The 12 looks alot better and the 18 turned out awesome. I really surprised myself, it looks as good or better than my store bought ones.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:39 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkais89 View Post
I tied two more. Another 12 w a hot head bead and a normal brass beaded size 18. The 12 looks alot better and the 18 turned out awesome. I really surprised myself, it looks as good or better than my store bought ones.

Nice, looking forward to seeing the finished products
Old 12-12-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Nice, looking forward to seeing the finished products
Unfortunately the 18 is so dang small my camera wont even focus on it lol. But i can post up the other sometime.