The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10539Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
Very cool.
I think I can do better at replicating the true box elder bug. Not sure if their habitat includes northern east coast islands. I read a little on them; apparently they excrete a fowl odor upon being crushed as a defense mechanism.
Anyone know if trout would avoid them for this reason? If they do no real point in pursuing the pattern, at least in red anyway.

They were thick here this last summer:

Bug invasion in Utah town covers children, dogs, food -- 'they just crawl everywhere' - U.S. News
I thought of trying to tie, but I to wondered if they are fish food.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:28 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Noreaster, you don't have stink bugs up there? Lucky you! From September to late October my windshield gets covered with the stinky boogers!
Old 12-26-2012, 02:30 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

We have stink bugs too,
Old 12-26-2012, 02:33 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I don't think trout key in on them much though, maybe they have a foul taste or something. Every now and then one of my dogs would grab one and the faces they would make...priceless!
Old 12-26-2012, 02:40 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Click the image to open in full size.

HOT TUNG SQUIRREL, Olive – Bethke/Variant…Daiichi 1120, #12 – #18…

PT/TB
Joni and Kerry Pitt like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 12-26-2012, 02:40 PM

When I walked my dog, I would see big stink bugs all the time. They would stop and raise their rears. My dog was all dog and tried to sniff that rear area...what can I say, I have a wiener dog, his nose is already down there...LOL He usually did a quick sniff and only one per trip....
Old 12-26-2012, 02:44 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Noreaster, you don't have stink bugs up there? Lucky you! From September to late October my windshield gets covered with the stinky boogers!
Yeah we do have stink bugs for sure. I just didn't recognize that box elder bug.

Ours look like this
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...JHszUbQDGFeFAA
Old 12-26-2012, 02:50 PM

I have seen those a lot in southern Idaho, but here in Utah, they are the bright orange or red tipped ones.

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

With the neck still cramping I do find good moments and as already pointed out, I too am under a nice fresh blanket of snow, so out of boredom, I find my way to the vise. I managed a couple biot BWO's size 20

mcnerney, jaybo41, wt bash and 1 others like this.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:56 PM

When ever I see one the other isn't to far behind I don't think they're the same species but close enough. Both are "stinky" when you try and kill them. I tried to find some info on weather trout do eat them and apparently pellet heads will as they look like trout kibble. Wild fish supposedly know better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
He usually did a quick sniff and only one per trip....
Yeah my little guys learned quick too but they still do that head to the side look at them.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:26 PM

cowpokey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
Yeah we do have stink bugs for sure. I just didn't recognize that box elder bug.

Ours look like this
We have those in Korea too, get in the house and the dogs have to get a sniff...but only one.
noreaster likes this.