The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10715Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 02:04 AM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkins44 View Post
Tied up some of my amateur flies to fill my younger brothers fly box.

Click the image to open in full size.

I wouldn't say there's anything amateur about those flies. Good looking ties if you ask me.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:13 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I just tied this to give to my niece Caitlin. I'm going to frame it for her. She does nice stuff for people all the time so I thought I'd give her something I made. This is an old pattern originated by Mike Martinek. I am going to fix the drooping hackle in the wing when I frame it so it lines up better with the long Jungle Cock. I got the Jungle Cock in the cheek a tad pointed up, but I can live with that. I had to dye about half the stuff in this fly. Some of it took several attempts to get a close enough color. I did it all with Kool Aid. Any way I posted it in share patterns and copied what I did there and am pasting it here:

Caitlin's Comet
Caitlin's Comet Click the image to open in full size.
Hook Gaelic Supreme, Mike Martinek's sz.1 6XL Streamer Hook
Thread Black
Tag Flat Silver Tinsel
Rib Fine Oval Silver Tinsel
Body Royal Purple Silk Floss
Belly Red Calf Tail and a Golden Pheasant Crest
Underwing A small bunch of Lavender and Red Bucktail
Inner Wing Pale Purple Hackle, then Hot Magenta and medium Blue Hackle 2/3 as long as the others.
Note Build the wings as a seperate unit with the last eye spot of the Jungle Cock showing clear beyond the hackle.
Shoulder Mallard dyed Red
Throat White Schlappen
Cheeks Jungle Cock
Crest Burnt Orange Golden Pheasant Crest over the wing
Pocono, mcnerney, kelkay and 6 others like this.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:37 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Nice fly, Dan!

I like the use of the JC nail wing and shoulder. Colors work very well togther.

You should tie up another one and give it a try on some bigger trout.

Pocono
Old 01-04-2013, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

2013 BWO...new technique wings
Old 01-04-2013, 02:14 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

awesome lake brookie

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 01-04-2013, 02:30 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

What's going on with wing JP I can't really tell from the photo?
Old 01-04-2013, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Wtb I used the material you can see here:JP's flies step by step...for beginners.
the one on the parapost bag...nice tranluscent effect...haven't tested this fly yet...hope it won't twist the tippet
Guest1 likes this.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:50 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Ah ha! I'll have to try using some of that for wings. Thanks JP!
jpbfly likes this.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:30 PM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold

Mohican today.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:53 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

thats a really nice heather lafontaines mohawk
jaybo41 likes this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/