The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree11330Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 11:14 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Stuart P., those are pure eye candy. Even if they never caught a fish I would like to be able to tie them just to look at them. Nice.
Great photography also.
On that first leggy half-hogs, do you have some dyed hair mixed in the wing?
Old 01-13-2013, 11:24 AM

stuartpengs is a glorious beacon of lightstuartpengs is a glorious beacon of lightstuartpengs is a glorious beacon of lightstuartpengs is a glorious beacon of lightstuartpengs is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Stuart P., those are pure eye candy. Even if they never caught a fish I would like to be able to tie them just to look at them. Nice.
Great photography also.
On that first leggy half-hogs, do you have some dyed hair mixed in the wing?
Thanks Jackster.

No there's no added hair, but the seal's fur is tied in three sections. First for the butt up to the first wing, then the second in between the two deer hair wings, (this one is tied in a bit looser), then the third around the head section. So I think it's the looser middle section that gives the impression of added hair in the thorax area.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:24 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartpengs View Post
Hi all,

a few leggy half-hogs from today. Snow is falling and cabin fever is setting in.
Those are real nice Very life like and full of movement. Colors with those crazy legs makes for a nice buggy signature.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:25 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Stuart those flies are quite lovely. The photography was excellent too.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:31 AM

stuartpengs is a glorious beacon of lightstuartpengs is a glorious beacon of lightstuartpengs is a glorious beacon of lightstuartpengs is a glorious beacon of lightstuartpengs is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks guys
Old 01-13-2013, 11:51 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Took a stab at an extended body Green Drake. I need to slim the abdomen down some and not set the hook so deep into the body next time but I think it'll still fish well enough.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:28 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

Silver Doctor Variant for me, tied with what I had on hand. Daichii Alec Jackson #5
madjoni, jaybo41, wt bash and 2 others like this.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:17 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I think I got it this time!

Old 01-13-2013, 04:21 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

Yes , you definitely have it in the slimmer version #2 - great fly
Old 01-13-2013, 06:08 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Took a stab at an extended body Green Drake. I need to slim the abdomen down some and not set the hook so deep into the body next time but I think it'll still fish well enough.

Again Mr. Bash, looks like you're headed to Penn's, say about May-ish. Second one looks like it hit Weight Watchers compared to the first. Can you get it a little thinner? Great looking ties BWT.

Stuart--your ties are amazing man!
stuartpengs likes this.